Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I remember I was at my local pet store and I saw a tank with dividers with three bettas in which was good but if you saw how much algae was in there and there was only one alive and it was so disgusting I wanted to save the one alive but the guy said it wasn't for sale but for display

Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Displaying fish cruelty? :/. That's not what the person said obviously but that's how it sounds to me :/
I'm sorry you weren't able to save him.

Was this the betta falls "tank"?

It's an interesting concept I think, but, too small for each fish in the space plus. It'd be a pain to change water and clean I think. And with that setup daily water changes should happen in my opinion.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #23

No it was a small long three gallon tank and the dividers gave the fish only half a gallon
Old 09-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 gallons 3 fish but only a half gallon each? I'm having trouble picturing that.

Did it have any kind of filter or aeration?
Old 09-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #25

Nope it did not
Old 09-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always wonder how often water is changed in these small spaces for Bettas at stores. Probably not often enough
Old 09-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #27

Fish Stores

I know right it's heartbreaking
Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish Stores

It is . And I hate seeing a lot of feces floating around. I want to change it right then and there!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #29

I remember when I was a kid there used to be a pet store a few blocks from my house they used to take better care of the animals more than the chained stores until they sadly closed down to financial issues
Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

a lot are closing down shipping costs and electric costs and insurance are killing all the small stores the big chains ether own there own breeders or get a brake in the costs and do alot of there own shipping , my lfs has a guy that drives 2 1/2 hours to Portland to get fish from the wholesaler but the guy is going there weekly for business anyway so it saves a ton on shipping and the fish are in much better shape
I used to have a great lfs that had hundreds of tanks and the water was changed in each one every day they had 1 worker thats all he did all day , they had a pump that would suck 1/2 the water out in 1 minute and refill it with a large hose , they never had a dirty tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com