Fish tanks and feng shui

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikadee

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a somewhat silly question, but I was wondering if any of you guys out there believe in Feng Shui which is the chinese art of furniture placement in order to have the ultimate flow of positive energy within a room. For example, it is bad feng shui to put a mirror directly in front of the master bed because all the love in the bed will bounce off the mirror and go away. However, it is good feng shui to put a mirror across the room from the door because the negative energy that comes in will bounce out and leave the room. Feng shui is full of stuff like that, round rugs are good for bed rooms, crystals always harness positive energy, and dried flowers are bad.

Anyway, the point of this is that I keep my fishtanks in my bedroom. My mom who follows feng shui like crazy (she has literally 5 books on it, and is constantly rearranging her house) told me that it's terrible feng shui. She says that any large body of water in the bedroom is bad feng shui. Unfortunately, I'm a college student with limited space and a roommate who hates fish, so there's not many options for tank placement. Recently I have been getting sick a lot, and have even found an abnormal growth in my breast. Needless to say, my parents are flipping out and of course, my mom blames it all on my fishtanks in my room and the bad feng shui which is making me sick.

So does anyone else believe in this? If so, have you heard similar things about fishtank placement?? I think it's pretty absurd, but hey, I guess it could be true! :?

Well, I live near the ocean, which combined with a fish tank in my room led to mold, which i'm highly allergic to. Black mold I think is dangerous. At any rate, be wary the mold!!!

I think the real question is...do you believe it? The mind is a very powerful thing, and if you believe it, it could be what is causing the illness, or it could be coincidence, but for what it's worth, no I do not believe in it.

My whole house is based on this oriental science. Good and bad energy has to be directed in their appropriate ways. I placed my fish tank in my home office because flowing water promotes production and I need all the help I can get. :wink:

Feng shui works

reefrunner69 said:
I think the real question is...do you believe it? The mind is a very powerful thing, and if you believe it, it could be what is causing the illness, or it could be coincidence, but for what it's worth, no I do not believe in it.
exactly

GrndHog said:
My whole house is based on this oriental science.

In no way would I consider feng shui to be a "science," any more than "creationist science" or whatever else people attach the word too. Please be more careful with your terminology.

That said, it would be better for you to take the appropriate steps to solve your problems rather than to try fixing everything by rearranging your dorm.

To counter your mother's advice more directly (no offense :oops:), I also live in a college dorm. I have fish tanks in it-- one at the foot of the bed, one off to the side, and then the ocean is within viewing distance outside my window. And my year has been going very well, except for the death of my paradise fish, and I don't think he cared much for "feng shui." It's an easy way out, like saying if you rearranged the decor in your fish tanks to have perfect "flow" none of your fish would ever die.

I completely understand that certain situations (such as being a college student who loves her pets dearly) takes precedence over feng shui, which is why I didn't listen to her advice and get rid of my tanks. But I was curious as to how many other people believe in it. I really don't care much for it even though growing up, it was pretty much shoved down my throat. Feng shui this and feng shui that. I humor my mother and keep the random crystal things she gives me around my desk, and actually after she gave me the "crystal pagoda of good grades and knowlege" I started getting straight A's. I really think it's a coincidence and I just started trying harder, but man, that is the ultimate proof for her of feng shui's greatness.

When it comes down to it, I think it's really a cultural thing. If you go to China (where I was born, and my parents lived there until they were 30) the "religion" of their society is really just glorified superstitions. Not that I am bashing them by any means, but it is just very different than western beliefs.

7 entries found for science.
sci·ence
n.
  • a. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
    b. Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
    c. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
2. Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
3. An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
4. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
5. Science Christian Science.

Chickadee, I hope you feel better soon. I don't think fishtanks in the bedroom could cause any harm. I'm very allergic to mold too, and my tanks have never bothered me. It may depend on how humid your area is too. I have a tight-fitting lid on my FW tanks, and I often sit right beside the tanks, at the kitchen counter. My tanks haven't caused any illness for me, other than a brief cyano issue that was quickly and easily resolved.

actually fish bring luck to their owners.. like for example goldfish or any fish that have color closest to red, kois, platies, etc.. bring good luck and the most luck would be the asian arowana.. and having an odd number of fish in ur tank is suppose to bring luck also..the only down side is that if you walk through ur door and see the fish tank it is said to bring bad luck =\... hehe confusing but im chinese and my family have drilled this into my mind :roll:

I've never read or learned anything about feng shui (until I read this post!) but now I'm intrigued so I want to learn more (more for curiosity's sake than anything else).
Personally, I don't believe in the fish tank bringing upon you bad luck. For me, my fish tank is RIGHT NEXT to my bed. As in inches from it. It's 4 feet long, so it prettymuch dominates one side of my bed. And I love it there: it relaxes me, gives me something to watch when I'm bored and something to think about before I go to sleep, and is overall very soothing (especially with running water and animals - I'm a water sign, and maybe that has something to do with the attraction to water, but who knows).
About the growth in your breast: get it checked RIGHT AWAY. I cannot stress that enough! (The computer got mad, said I was yelling and not to use caps, but whatever! :wink:) My grandmother died from cancer that started in her lymph nodes (near armpit) and spread to her lungs. The sooner that can be looked into, the better. I sincerely hope it is only a false alarm or something related to that, and I truly hope that your other illnesses go away. I think it has nothign to do with the fish tank - although my grandmother didn't do feng shui or have a fish tank. (Fish = relaxation!!!)
Best of luck all around, and remember no matter what, we are here for you! (Even if it means denouncing feng shui! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom