Fish Tanks close to PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy,

I wasn't sure where to put this question as it doesn't specifically relate to fish tanks.

I plan on setting up my computer next to where my fish tank (90g) will be. I plan on having the CPU as far away as possible but the printer and monitor will be next to it (within 1-2 feet). I do plan on having a hood over the tank but was not sure if this will work or not having the computer stuff so close to the tank.

I can move the computer to another room but it kinda appeals to me to have the PC right next to the tank so I can look at it while on the computer.

What do people think? It is bad to have my computer set up side by side with the tank?

Thanks!

I have my 3g above my computer, and a 10g 2 feet away...baring a accident I see nothing wrong with the setup.

I have a 33g next to my TV for 3 months now. Not even a foot apart. I guess it will go down to how careful you are when maintaining your aquarium and not get any water on your electric devices.

I had a open top 10g sitting almost touching my monitor for a while. No issues or problems

Good go know! I didn't think there would be a problem but it is always good to ask what other people think, especially if someone has done something similar in the past.

I have my 10 gallon QT aka guppy tank, on my computer desk no problems for me :)

Should not present a problem, my PC's & printer are right next to my 36g tank. This will mean that once I get on with my new electronic project, the wires won't have so far to go for the tank sensors !

The biggest problem I've had with having my fishtank close to my electronics has to do with power draw. Granted - I live in a 1 bedroom apartment that was apparently wired by an idiot, but:

My computer, TV, various cable and internet boxes, printer, and Aquarium are all on the same circuit - and for some dumb reason it's the same circuit that runs the 1100 watt microwave all the way in the kitchen. So I have to turn either the computer or the TV off whenever I want to microwave something - otherwise I get to play a game of "When will the Breaker Blow?"

The only thing I'd add is it might be worth getting a plastic cover for your eletronics when you're doing your PWC's and other tank maintenance to avoid accidently splashing water on your computer.

Back
Top Bottom