Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
Fish that deserves more respect.

I think there was a thread like this a while back but I'm not certain. What species of fish do you think deserves more respect? For me I'd say bettas or goldfish. People think that these fish are hardy beginner fish that can live in the smallest of tanks.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,772
I'd say white cloud minnows are one of the most undervalued fish in the hobby. I have some in an outdoor breeders tub and they've spawned for me multiple times in 4 days. awesome looking fish and good schooling behavior.
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Fish that deserves more respect.

I have quite the list for this. Ba dum tiss. So much rhyme ok here we go...

• Bala Shark- They get huge, are incredibly active and need space, need schools, and did I mention they get big? Seriously I do not see how they can survive in any aquarium and most public aquariums should not house them. They deserve more than the 75 & 90 gallon tanks some put them in. If y'all wanna see the true potential of a Bala and the sheer tank size they'd need go to Texas and visit the Fort Worth Zoo Aquarium.

• Chinese High-Fin Shark- again these fish get too big for most aquariums and truly deserve ponds. I just do not see how any aquarium can house these fish.

• Pacu- Ok I'm really sick of seeing these as available and wide spread as they are in my area. The Petco (and walmart) near me always has a ton in stock and it pains me to think that someone went home with a monster for their 20 gallon. These fish are massive beasts that have 0 place in our hobby. There's no way most ponds can house these fish and I refuse to believe that ANY aquarium can house these fish. This is the best example of freshwater fish that need to stop being sold and let them stay in the wild.


Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Currently ohio
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
I have quite the list for this. Ba dum tiss. So much rhyme ok here we go...

• Bala Shark- They get huge, are incredibly active and need space, need schools, and did I mention they get big? Seriously I do not see how they can survive in any aquarium and most public aquariums should not house them. They deserve more than the 75 & 90 gallon tanks some put them in. If y'all wanna see the true potential of a Bala and the sheer tank size they'd need go to Texas and visit the Fort Worth Zoo Aquarium.

• Chinese High-Fin Shark- again these fish get too big for most aquariums and truly deserve ponds. I just do not see how any aquarium can house these fish.

• Pacu- Ok I'm really sick of seeing these as available and wide spread as they are in my area. The Petco (and walmart) near me always has a ton in stock and it pains me to think that someone went home with a monster for their 20 gallon. These fish are massive beasts that have 0 place in our hobby. There's no way most ponds can house these fish and I refuse to believe that ANY aquarium can house these fish. This is the best example of freshwater fish that need to stop being sold and let them stay in the wild.


Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice
I couldnt gree more, espcially Pacu. They can be a true schooling fish and you know they are not getting that.
__________________
loachy dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
The Rodney Dangerfield fish...heh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
The Rodney Dangerfield fish...heh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. This was a serious thread and now you've broken everything
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. This was a serious thread and now you've broken everything
I'm sorry bro, couldn't resist, i was giggling while.i typed it.. figured only a few would catch it.. no more funnies back to serious.. oscars, let's start at the pet store.. "well they have 8 in a 20 gal and they look fine..I'll take 3!! For my 20!!" Blahhhhh.. I've got a 75 waiting for some space and one, yes one oscar..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dcutl002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Smithfield, Va.
Posts: 1,303
Bettas. But marketing should picture Bettas in 10 gallons vice a small cup container.
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
Bettas. But marketing should picture Bettas in 10 gallons vice a small cup container.
I understand why everyone feels that for betas the bigger the better and I personally have never kept one in anything under 5 gallons but they are known to make permanent residence in animal footprints and small puddles in their native land and even have the ability to breathe directly from the air because of them not having enough oxygen in the stagnant small puddle they usually live in.They are also very slow moving and therefore require less space because they spend a lot of their day resting on a leaf or at the surface. They are a fish that can live a fine life in at the minimum 1/2 gallon.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dcutl002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Smithfield, Va.
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I understand why everyone feels that for betas the bigger the better and I personally have never kept one in anything under 5 gallons but they are known to make permanent residence in animal footprints and small puddles in their native land and even have the ability to breathe directly from the air because of them not having enough oxygen in the stagnant small puddle they usually live in.They are also very slow moving and therefore require less space because they spend a lot of their day resting on a leaf or at the surface. They are a fish that can live a fine life in at the minimum 1/2 gallon.
The Native Betta Habitat – Separating Fact from Fiction | Betta Fish Care
__________________

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Giving my beta the 10gal home he deserves BlaseMrNiceguy Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 10 10-09-2012 11:37 AM
If you have Fish and/or Corals - Your Tank deserves this!! Reefs2go.com Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 07-28-2012 08:02 PM
LFS lost my respect Mumma.of.two Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 09-03-2011 07:22 PM
respect krap101 Aquaria Off-Topic 5 08-07-2004 11:17 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.