Fish you want, but just can't have!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've come across this a lot, where I've seen fish that I've adored, but either couldn't find, or were too big, or dangerous!

When you post, post the fish you want, why you like it, but why you cant have it. I'd like to see what's caught everyone's fancy! A picture would be great, too!

---
Here's my main one right now: Neosilurus ater (Australian eel-tailed catfish)
::: Why? I'd love it because it's so unique. I already have eclipse catfish and an african brown knife, and the eel-tail looks almost exactly like a cross between the two, so having it in a tank would leave a nice bridge species!
::: Why can't I have it? I figure it'd be near impossible to find, but I'll always keep an eye out!

zpostIMG_8885.jpg

Red bellied piranhas! My dad had them when I was little and I've always thought they were Rad. I understand why they're illegal for purchase in my state though.

Weedy sea dragon..

img_2007551_0_a90966ac92afca22b75fe1f6d537f75a.jpg

I love them because of the way they pair up, their mating dance, it's the only 18" seahorse I've seen, and they are gorgeous!

I can't have them because they are illegal to transport out of Australia unless they are tank raised and most people find this impossible to do.

Weedy sea dragon..

img_2007564_0_a90966ac92afca22b75fe1f6d537f75a.jpg

I love them because of the way they pair up, their mating dance, it's the only 18" seahorse I've seen, and they are gorgeous!

I can't have them because they are illegal to transport out of Australia unless they are tank raised and most people find this impossible to do.

Australian fish are so cool. That seahorse is gorgeous, too. :\ Maybe someone will find a way to breed them in captivity and share them with the world, it's been happening a lot with strange species. All the fish commonly sold today had to start somewhere, right?

Chiroptera said:
Australian fish are so cool. That seahorse is gorgeous, too. :\ Maybe someone will find a way to breed them in captivity and share them with the world, it's been happening a lot with strange species. All the fish commonly sold today had to start somewhere, right?

It's happened already. But the last one sold for about 3k. That's a lot of money to risk for a seahorse that's been known to not be very hardy in the home aquarium. Not to mention it would need about a 6-800 gallon tank with low flow. Lol.

Jlsardina said:
Weedy sea dragon..

Amazing... My brother has a great pic of one we saw in the UCSD (university or san diego) collage. It was awesome and tgere were like 10 or them in a hugeeee aquarium. At least 600 g.... :)

wow 3k for the seahorse?? woowoo.
ive seen them once at mall of america aquarium. they were breath taking!

Seahorse!!!! Any kind!!!

I have been in love with all seahorses for as long as I can remember! Right now we have to many saltwater tanks and can't afford the added expense of another tank. The only spare tank we have is an 8 gallon biocube. :(
They are so beautiful. I will get a pair someday!!!

Mines much smaller. A few firemouth cichlids. They are just so pretty and personable. I just don't have the room right now, but in the future hopefully I will have some;)

I have a list! Red Bellied Piranhas, Wolf fish, Alligator Gar, like 100 Cardinal Tetras, Muskie, Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, freshwater Stingray, Goliath Tiger Fish, Snakehead, Airapaima, Arowana, and the reason I can't have these is because most of them get HUGE and a tank to hold them would have to be massive(all these wouldn't go in the same tank) but if I had to chose 1 I would want a Red Bellied Pacu and the reason I can't have one is because I don't have enough money to buy the 300+ gallon tank it needs.

Ghost Knife other knife fish, too large to be able for me to keep, don't have enough room for a big tank, besides I have too many as it is. LOL

Seahorses, are fussy in what they need in their live diet to really be healthy in captivity. I don't want to kill them!!!

id love to have two fish, lion fish and a seahorse, neither would work in my reef aquarium.one because of his big mouth the other to delicate,

Just to name a few.

Clown knife
SA red tail cat
Black rhom
Mated pair of dovii
Mbu puffer
Elongated piranha
1000 neon tetras
Mantis shrimp

Eh, that's all I can think of at the moment. But there is so much more. I know. Haha

Back
Top Bottom