Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #41
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
i don't know if electric blue is a very good example since they are a natural occurrence in the wild, but I think he was just talking about man made fish in general, I mean where to draw the line on the veiltails, some fish have tails so long that they can hardly get around. And the inbreeding it takes to keep a certain rare trait like electric blue often results in very weak fish stocks.
__________________

__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HalfMoon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,004
Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
i don't know if electric blue is a very good example since they are a natural occurrence in the wild, but I think he was just talking about man made fish in general, I mean where to draw the line on the veiltails, some fish have tails so long that they can hardly get around. And the inbreeding it takes to keep a certain rare trait like electric blue often results in very weak fish stocks.
Agreed. I was just wondering about that. I have never kept a fish that actually had "electric" in their common name.
__________________

__________________
My 90 Gal Reef Build
HalfMoon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #43
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
Also, for fish eating fish videos, is that cruel/unethical or sadistic? I'm sure the fish being fed doesn't mind :P
I think the issue is when people use this as a form of entertainment. A part of me finds a predator stalking its prey a riveting experience, but another part wonders what it's like to be hunted.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
eco23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 6,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

I think the issue is when people use this as a form of entertainment. A part of me finds a predator stalking its prey a riveting experience, but another part wonders what it's like to be hunted.
Agreed. There's definitely a difference between watching a documentary of Lions stalking Zebras on the African plains...or some (potentially) sadistic sociopath taking enjoyment of watching a fish bite another in half at his own hands. IMO, something is mentally wrong with you if you take enjoyment from the pain of ANY animal...even bugs. Experienced and responsible hunters and fisherman at least make efforts. A friend of mine is an avid deer hunter...and he said one of the worst experiences of his life was shooting a deer uncleanly...following a blood trail for miles and never finding it. He said it laid very heavy on his heart to cause suffering with no ends, justification or cause in that situation.
__________________
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Being responsible...fishless cycling defines it, fish-in requires it. Choose wisely.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
adeebm's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I think the issue is when people use this as a form of entertainment. A part of me finds a predator stalking its prey a riveting experience, but another part wonders what it's like to be hunted.
True, but is that any different then say, watching animals get hunted on Discovery Channel? Or the "human attacks" shows? People will find all sorts of things entertaining...

--Adeeb
__________________
My tanks: 46gal Amazon - 55gal Crabitat - 28gal SW - 29g Vampire Terrarium
My Fiddler Crab Site
Shave the Whales!
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #46
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
True, but is that any different then say, watching animals get hunted on Discovery Channel? Or the "human attacks" shows? People will find all sorts of things entertaining...

--Adeeb
That's what makes it such a difficult topic, I think we (as a society) are geared towards watching stuff like this for entertainment. It's not like its a new thing, I mean there are plenty of examples in history of people being entertained by it. Look at bullfighting, or even going further back, the roman coloseum.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #47
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
Most of what I feel has already been said somewhere. I personally do not hunt or fish, but people that do are a big reason that we have been able to preserve nature. Most hunters I know are very responsible and well-informed about the animals.
The fish in our aquariums are our responsibility. They cannot just swim away and go about their lives. We as humans need social activities and things to bond to. My fish give me joy, and I give them the best life possible in return.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
That's what makes it such a difficult topic, I think we (as a society) are geared towards watching stuff like this for entertainment. It's not like its a new thing, I mean there are plenty of examples in history of people being entertained by it. Look at bullfighting, or even going further back, the roman coloseum.
The problem is that it's instinct. Just like fish, no matter how much we try to domesticate ourselves we are still the same animals we were way back around 10,000 years ago. It's genetically (so to speak) natural for us to see things kill other things because then it's easier for us to take. So while most people think that it's evil to watch this, the truth is it's a primoridal dominance inside of us that no matter how many years of domestication you can't get rid of. Same goes for fish. No matter how much you domesticate them you can't get rid of their natural instincts, which is where newbies who have cycled and everything go wrong with stocking African cichlids with neon tetras (I've seen this more than once).
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
adeebm's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
The problem is that it's instinct. Just like fish, no matter how much we try to domesticate ourselves we are still the same animals we were way back around 10,000 years ago. It's genetically (so to speak) natural for us to see things kill other things because then it's easier for us to take. So while most people think that it's evil to watch this, the truth is it's a primoridal dominance inside of us that no matter how many years of domestication you can't get rid of. Same goes for fish. No matter how much you domesticate them you can't get rid of their natural instincts, which is where newbies who have cycled and everything go wrong with stocking African cichlids with neon tetras (I've seen this more than once).
That's an interesting idea. I would say the "killing" instinct exists in humans, or most of us. However, that's not to say that we can't suppress it. It's our ability to think and our free will that defines us. One can choose to not kill, or enjoy the pain of others. It's why most of us fishkeepers are appalled by animal cruelty. Those of us who don't choose to ignore our instincts are the ones putting fish in keychains, or breeding them to fight, or posting youtube videos of them killing each other.

--Adeeb
__________________
My tanks: 46gal Amazon - 55gal Crabitat - 28gal SW - 29g Vampire Terrarium
My Fiddler Crab Site
Shave the Whales!
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
That's an interesting idea. I would say the "killing" instinct exists in humans, or most of us. However, that's not to say that we can't suppress it. It's our ability to think and our free will that defines us. One can choose to not kill, or enjoy the pain of others. It's why most of us fishkeepers are appalled by animal cruelty. Those of us who don't choose to ignore our instincts are the ones putting fish in keychains, or breeding them to fight, or posting youtube videos of them killing each other.

--Adeeb
Highly valid point. It all depends on whether you choose to use your ability to enjoy pain and killing of animals. It comes out from time to time in people. Though I hate to admit I sometimes enjoy watching things suffer, and that is what makes us who we are. No human being is the perfect saint-like angel lots of us make ourselves out to be. We just have to accept the fact that savagery is in us and we can choose to keep fish ethically or not. The same goes for all other animals and how we treat people.
__________________

__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die roundar Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 09-01-2011 04:33 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.