Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #41
come get me tang police!

i don't know if electric blue is a very good example since they are a natural occurrence in the wild, but I think he was just talking about man made fish in general, I mean where to draw the line on the veiltails, some fish have tails so long that they can hardly get around. And the inbreeding it takes to keep a certain rare trait like electric blue often results in very weak fish stocks.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
i don't know if electric blue is a very good example since they are a natural occurrence in the wild, but I think he was just talking about man made fish in general, I mean where to draw the line on the veiltails, some fish have tails so long that they can hardly get around. And the inbreeding it takes to keep a certain rare trait like electric blue often results in very weak fish stocks.
Agreed. I was just wondering about that. I have never kept a fish that actually had "electric" in their common name.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #43
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeebm View Post
Also, for fish eating fish videos, is that cruel/unethical or sadistic? I'm sure the fish being fed doesn't mind :P
I think the issue is when people use this as a form of entertainment. A part of me finds a predator stalking its prey a riveting experience, but another part wonders what it's like to be hunted.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

I think the issue is when people use this as a form of entertainment. A part of me finds a predator stalking its prey a riveting experience, but another part wonders what it's like to be hunted.
Agreed. There's definitely a difference between watching a documentary of Lions stalking Zebras on the African plains...or some (potentially) sadistic sociopath taking enjoyment of watching a fish bite another in half at his own hands. IMO, something is mentally wrong with you if you take enjoyment from the pain of ANY animal...even bugs. Experienced and responsible hunters and fisherman at least make efforts. A friend of mine is an avid deer hunter...and he said one of the worst experiences of his life was shooting a deer uncleanly...following a blood trail for miles and never finding it. He said it laid very heavy on his heart to cause suffering with no ends, justification or cause in that situation.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
True, but is that any different then say, watching animals get hunted on Discovery Channel? Or the "human attacks" shows? People will find all sorts of things entertaining...

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #46
come get me tang police!

Quote:
True, but is that any different then say, watching animals get hunted on Discovery Channel? Or the "human attacks" shows? People will find all sorts of things entertaining...

--Adeeb
That's what makes it such a difficult topic, I think we (as a society) are geared towards watching stuff like this for entertainment. It's not like its a new thing, I mean there are plenty of examples in history of people being entertained by it. Look at bullfighting, or even going further back, the roman coloseum.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #47
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Most of what I feel has already been said somewhere. I personally do not hunt or fish, but people that do are a big reason that we have been able to preserve nature. Most hunters I know are very responsible and well-informed about the animals.
The fish in our aquariums are our responsibility. They cannot just swim away and go about their lives. We as humans need social activities and things to bond to. My fish give me joy, and I give them the best life possible in return.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
That's what makes it such a difficult topic, I think we (as a society) are geared towards watching stuff like this for entertainment. It's not like its a new thing, I mean there are plenty of examples in history of people being entertained by it. Look at bullfighting, or even going further back, the roman coloseum.
The problem is that it's instinct. Just like fish, no matter how much we try to domesticate ourselves we are still the same animals we were way back around 10,000 years ago. It's genetically (so to speak) natural for us to see things kill other things because then it's easier for us to take. So while most people think that it's evil to watch this, the truth is it's a primoridal dominance inside of us that no matter how many years of domestication you can't get rid of. Same goes for fish. No matter how much you domesticate them you can't get rid of their natural instincts, which is where newbies who have cycled and everything go wrong with stocking African cichlids with neon tetras (I've seen this more than once).
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
The problem is that it's instinct. Just like fish, no matter how much we try to domesticate ourselves we are still the same animals we were way back around 10,000 years ago. It's genetically (so to speak) natural for us to see things kill other things because then it's easier for us to take. So while most people think that it's evil to watch this, the truth is it's a primoridal dominance inside of us that no matter how many years of domestication you can't get rid of. Same goes for fish. No matter how much you domesticate them you can't get rid of their natural instincts, which is where newbies who have cycled and everything go wrong with stocking African cichlids with neon tetras (I've seen this more than once).
That's an interesting idea. I would say the "killing" instinct exists in humans, or most of us. However, that's not to say that we can't suppress it. It's our ability to think and our free will that defines us. One can choose to not kill, or enjoy the pain of others. It's why most of us fishkeepers are appalled by animal cruelty. Those of us who don't choose to ignore our instincts are the ones putting fish in keychains, or breeding them to fight, or posting youtube videos of them killing each other.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That's an interesting idea. I would say the "killing" instinct exists in humans, or most of us. However, that's not to say that we can't suppress it. It's our ability to think and our free will that defines us. One can choose to not kill, or enjoy the pain of others. It's why most of us fishkeepers are appalled by animal cruelty. Those of us who don't choose to ignore our instincts are the ones putting fish in keychains, or breeding them to fight, or posting youtube videos of them killing each other.

--Adeeb
Highly valid point. It all depends on whether you choose to use your ability to enjoy pain and killing of animals. It comes out from time to time in people. Though I hate to admit I sometimes enjoy watching things suffer, and that is what makes us who we are. No human being is the perfect saint-like angel lots of us make ourselves out to be. We just have to accept the fact that savagery is in us and we can choose to keep fish ethically or not. The same goes for all other animals and how we treat people.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com