Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoeFox
You have to admit, it makes you look at the DIY projects you might be putting off and think "Ya know...Maybe that isn't so challenging." heh. Ideal, no... creative solution, yes.
Agree! (15 char)

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sure, it might not have been ideal situations, nor great equipment to be using, but it certainly sounds like they tried their best to take care of the fish

fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is all true ,im also from cuba and back then things where not so good and in the 80s where basic the dark ages for cuba ,it was officialy call special period,then in the 90s got a little bit better,i had my first tank in 1995,30gal or so, the only filtration we could use was custom made undergravel filter,even today there is no sush a thing like power filters or canisters.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm glad you guys have found it interesting! I always have found it remarkable how much people can improvise when they've got limited resources.

If anyone's got any other stories about the history of fishkeeping please feel free to share!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This isn't as interesting as yours, but when we were growing mom had a 5/10 gallon aquarium. No lights, no heater, no glass top, and no filter! It also sat right in front of the windows in the living room with the heat vent right under neath of it!! Once a week mom would haul it to the kitchen sink ( cussing and splashing water on her way) and remove the fish ( no net) and clean tank, decorations under the faucet, probably a good thing we had well water! If I remember right there was a few feeder guppies that bred, a common goldfish that mom cussed because it was so dirty, and another fish that aways jumped out of the tank onto the carpet! It made one jump to many! We found it dried up on the carpet, mom called that one the d**** fish!! Lol it still brings back fond memories!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
Lol it still brings back fond memories!
Haha yea, it's always nice to think back to those simpler times, but the idea of trying to keep a tank looking clean with no filtration is really daunting lol.

Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

My first "tank" was an empty glass battery case of about 2 gallons or less that was given to me with a colony of guppies. It had no filtration, but a fairly large number of Vals or Sag. This was around 1962.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterson333

Haha yea, it's always nice to think back to those simpler times, but the idea of trying to keep a tank looking clean with no filtration is really daunting lol.

Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was?
Don't mind at all, 45 years ago!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's amazing how everyone used to keep fish back then. My uncle used to keep fish in the late 70s and early 80s (in the states). He mostly kept angelfish and other community fish. When I first got my tanks and he saw all my filtration he was amazed. He told me that back then everyone used UGFs and in order to clean them you had to take apart the whole tank. You gotta put some effort in if you wanna keep fish, but compared to what they used to have to do, maintenance nowadays is a walk in the park.

He also told me that he remembered when Cardinal Tetras were first introduced to the market (in NY at least) in the early 80s. He said everyone went nuts for them but they didn't last long at all so the stores stopped importing them, so he was amazed that I was able to keep a school lol.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm also of Cuban Heritage, and my Girlfriends Grandfather was an avid fish keeper when he was in Cuba. The Story in the OP is very similar to the one that he told me, this was a common practice to do in Havana. He told me how he used 50 Gallon Drum Barrels and fitted a large piece of glass in front of it. I forgot what fish he kept, but i do know that he kept Tetras, but I'm also sure he kept guppies.

he went to a river near his house, and collected local plants from the river and placed it in the make-shift tank. For Food, he actually went back to the same river, and took large chunks of dirt and mud from the water. He never specified how he did this, but when he cleaned it out through a filter he gathered a bunch of worms that he would feed to his fish. My Girlfriends Grandfather kept 2 of these, using a separate tank for breeding.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com