Fishy Wishes - Aquatic Accomplishments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you had unlimited resources to pay for fishkeeping, is there anything you'd like to try to accomplish?

I know certain members have fish they would like to breed eventually - like Etunes with caecilian worms. This is a great example.

I would like to try new things as well! For instance, fishy - experiments. For example, water temperature is dropped 2* F in a short time before each feeding. Feedings always take place on one side of the tank. Will the fish react like Pavlov's dog and return to the feeding place with only a drop in temperature?

Or, other large-scale projects - like krap101 (Danny) wanted to have a huge school of neons be a renewable food source for a smaller school of Angels.

I would also like to keep exotic fish. One I find extremely interesting is the baby whale - pic of Pollimyrus Isidori - I've found a lot of conflicting information about its size, aggression, and tank requirements! That makes me want to keep it and help figure it out.

Another cool accomplishment would be innovating on the affordability, size, ease of installation, and appearance of aquariums. Same goes for indoor/outdoor ponds, or something entirely new!

And then there's the DIY end - I've seen excellent DIY Canisters, and it makes me think that even more can be accomplished.

Of course I have my "dream tanks" with fish, inverts, and plants I want to have, but those are easily accomplished with time, and reasonable, easily acquirable amounts of money. Within the next year I intend to start a riparium, and a 75 gallon semi-aggressive (with small cichlids) tank. This thread is on a different scale :p

You can never get bored in this hobby :D That's why I love fish keeping - always so much to learn and experience!

Please post and discuss your fishy wishes here!

I have built 2 glass aquariums from sheets of glass. Both were about 20 gallons. But the guy that I buy glass from said they have 10, 10 foot "scraps" from a construction site. It is 2 inches think. He said they had had it for 2 years and the boss wants it gone. So he said I could have it for FREE. Problem 1, moving it. It weighs a ton. Problem 2, where to put it.

So I would like to take this glass and build a custom 10 foot long tank and fill with all saltwater fish available.

Unlimited resources? Where to start!?

1. I want a redtail catfish. I'd have to build a pond to house him properly and have a separate grocery list to feed him when he's grown. Gotta heat the pond and gotta have good filtration and proper viewing windows.

2. I want to try reefkeeping. You know how they say a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into? Well, reef tanks are holes full of water that you throw money into.

3. I want a fishing pond in my backyard. Maybe not the typical aquatic venture, but it's fishkeeping all the same.

4. I want to quit my job to enjoy the aforementioned projects.

Well I saw a massive 700gal here on the thread. Saltwater looked so beautiful but i would like to do this with Freshwater :D
I would just put so many different species in there and different plants. My stocking list would be.
50 cardinal Tetras
20 Clown loaches
20 Panda corys
20 Angels
20 Discus
10 Silver Sharks

Thst my dream

Not an experiment but a dream

I would like an indoor pound in the foundation of one of the rooms of my house and then have glass floor so I stand above the fish and am able to look down at them swimming around as well as a room next to it at a lower level so I can see them from the side.To fix or change things I must be able to swim in it if needed HOW'S THAT FOR A DREAM. Will see one day hey.

Not an experiment but a dream

I would like an indoor pound in the foundation of one of the rooms of my house and then have glass floor so I stand above the fish and am able to look down at them swimming around as well as a room next to it at a lower level so I can see them from the side.To fix or change things I must be able to swim in it if needed HOW'S THAT FOR A DREAM. Will see one day hey.

iv thought the same thing glass floor with no air gap so its like looking thru your tank glass i love cats so i would have to have several large catfish breeds including a red tail

id love to eventually be able to possibly breed octopus and cuttles.

added get a 180G, everyone seems to want 9082340985 gallon tanks and thats not me, so 180 would be perfect =]

I wouldn't know where to start. I think, first, I would become a marine biologist and a scientist who studies the other kinds of water, whatever they're called.
I have always loved the aquariums that you could be "inside" of. Like the ones at the museum aquariums. So I guess a lot of my walls and floors would be tanks of all sorts. Let's not forget the waterbed! Just kidding!

Back
Top Bottom