Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Food for Thought... Pronounciations

I just got thinking about some funny stuff... like why you drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway... what the difference between a parkway, freeway, and expressway is, why we have 12 months of the year, rather than 4 months to mirror the seasons, and a few others...

But I really got thinking how there are some things that I just don't know whether I pronounce or not. February. Who says Feb Roo Airy??? That's how it looks, right? I've always said Feb You Wary. How bout Wednesday? Who says Wed Nes Day? I say Winds Day.

So, anybody else ever wonder about that? I guess what really made me think about it was hearing some people that came in to the lfs while I was shooting the bull mispronouncing fish names like crazy (like pronouncing Julii cory- 'julie cory' rather than Joo Lee Eye... and Kenyi as 'kenyee' rather than ken yie). Made me wonder if people look at me weird when I saw wednesday and february.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I'm from RI/MA so I have a very strange kind of New York like accent. So a lot of the words I say aren't pronounced how they sound. I also say Feb U Ary. Coffee becomes coughffee, dog becomes dauwg, idea becomes idear, all my r's usually become h's and I add r's to words that end in vowels. Ha. But I'm sure many people know the Boston/Rhode Island accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Call me a geek, but when I start to wonder about a word I whip out my trusty Oxford Complete Wordfinder.

They have February as Feb Roo Airy and Feb Yoo Airy, so take your pick, Wednesday is listed as Whens Day.

As a kid I remember reading Gesundheit a lot (German for "bless you") and I pronounced it Gresh In Deet. It was years before someone corrected me and looking back it baffles me how I came up with that pronunciation. I added an R somehow, lol.

Any word people might read a lot, but not hear spoken much is ripe for mispronunciation.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

^makes sense. I would have pronounced it guess und height just reading it, but I've heard many people, after a loud sneeze, pronounce it more like 'gez oon tight'.

As far as the new york/phillidelphia type accents, you should hear mine. I get told on a daily basis that I sound like an even more redneck version of Larry the cable guy. If a word ends with 'ow' like window, I pronounce it 'wind err', basically putting 'er' to replace the 'ow' on all those words... except tomoato and tobacco and potato, and lots of other words... those are 'mater, baccer, and tater'. lol

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
^makes sense. I would have pronounced it guess und height just reading it, but I've heard many people, after a loud sneeze, pronounce it more like 'gez oon tight'.

As far as the new york/phillidelphia type accents, you should hear mine. I get told on a daily basis that I sound like an even more redneck version of Larry the cable guy. If a word ends with 'ow' like window, I pronounce it 'wind err', basically putting 'er' to replace the 'ow' on all those words... except tomoato and tobacco and potato, and lots of other words... those are 'mater, baccer, and tater'. lol
Hah window up here is winda. My grandfather has such an accent, he's like those old men you see fighting in grumpy old men haha. " Look out dat ( that) winda and look at dat deaa (deer) eatin my god **** bushes!" haha
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

anybody else got any thoughts on words like this?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I automatically use the American pronunciation to help people understand me when I talk. I always use hood, trunk, etc instead of bonnet and boot. I'm British born but worked for a US company since 2005. I moved to the US in 2006.

My wife has to order at drive through speakers and any situation where I just don't feel like repeating myself. I speak very clearly but I think sometimes when I talk people are so taken aback by my accent that they don't bother to actually listen to what I am saying.

We've also lived in Massachusetts for a year during our time together. Oddly enough the people in that area had many less problems understanding me.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have a friend who I used to work with. Her parents are both from Malaysia, but they moved to London before they had her. She looks Malaysian, but speaks with a London accent (very strong I might add). We always had so much fun at work comparing the way we said various things like gas station vs petrol station.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

im from ri so i tend to do the whole adding "r's" and "winda" and pronouncing car kar well you guys up in new england know what im talkin about

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium
xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx View Post
im from ri so i tend to do the whole adding "r's" and "winda" and pronouncing car kar well you guys up in new england know what im talkin about

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium
I would expect it to be more like Kah, or maybe that's more philly style?

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com