For those who are interested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesterrace

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of switching from just using plain treated tap to a 50/50 Treated Tap/RODI Water mix in my Freshwater tank. Why? To help with algae reduction and get rid of some excess mineral build up. I will be updating with vids weekly documenting this with the first one here:

Were your water changes /schedule the same before you set up the experiment?

Increasing water changes also helps because it keeps up reducing the TDS / total dissolved solids in the tank (which can occur with evaporation and refilling - leaving the tank water TDS / solids in the tank.)

How long has this tank been set up - sorry only have viewed week 2 if you mentioned it in week 1?

Tank has been running for just shy of 2 years now. I have done a 50% weekly water change and change the carbon filter once a month. I still do the 50% weekly water change but it's 2.5 gallons treated tap and 2.5 gallons RODI vs 5 gallons of treated tap like I used to do.

Here is week 3:

To go along with this, not sure if it makes any difference but after my failures with cherry shrimp, I decided I really wanted to give shrimp one more try but this time went with Ghost Shrimp and thus far it appears to be going well:

This one even figured out that it's smart to swim up to the surface to feed during feeding time:

Back
Top Bottom