Frustrating Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I work for a national chain pet retail store. The plaza that I work in has another (smaller national company) chain pet retail store. *NOTE* I frequent this other store as it is the closest "lfs" that has SW fish/equipment, which my store doesn't carry (and usually has very knowledgeable staff, and quality fish).

I had a couple come in asking if we had any 2 gallon tanks with filters in them. I showed them the only thing that we had in stock, which was a 1.89 gallon tall hex tank with a UGF in it. Upon inquiring what they wished to put in the tank, they stated that they were going to put a Leopard Spotted Puffer in it. Now I am not all that familiar with puffers but I was pretty sure that it was a SW fish (which if I remembered correctly it was going to need at least 75-80 gallon tank). When I told them that and the requirements of the tank size, they told me "well the guy at (insert other company here) said we could keep it in a 2 gallon tank with a filter and keep it in a brackish tank rather than a SW tank". After about 30 min of trying to educate these people (about cycling SW tanks, size requirements etc...), they walked out with a 10 gallon tank and an in-tank filter, and were going back to (insert other company here) to purchase the fish.

I feel bad for this puffer (which I have never even seen), because of the idiocy (is that even a word?) of these people. They had NOOOOO clue how to take care of this fish, what to feed etc....UUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH

Thanks for letting me vent

John

I am pretty sure they were referring to a brackish water species that gets to be about 5 inches or so. IMO still too large for a 2 gallon tank, but not the saltwater fish you were thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom