Fun at the LFS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hope you all share some cool stories. Here is mine:

Took my son to petco today (it's really a free zoo for toddlers) and saw some cool/sad stuff.
One of the tanks had a pair of pretty white cichlids and TONS of baby fry in the tank. Soooo cool! They were so tiny and all over the rocks.:popcorn:
I also saw a fancy goldfish in one tank that had no, count them-zero, eyes. He was completely blind, but looked healthy and doing fairly well for a petco fish!:oops:
Lastly, I saw one of the employees (the super nice guy that knows my kid by name) changing the water in the betta bowls. :eek: I'm impressed! (I also realize that it's sad that I'm impressed by that. Poor bettas)

Anyways I had fun, and my kiddo burnt a lot of energy, so I called it a good day.(y)

I love going to my lfs, too! I could easily be there for hours looking at all of the different types of fish, but avoid the feeder tanks because they make me sad :-(

I love it thank goodness our lfs does not have a feeder tank but a sad thing is they ask me for help some times

And the most saddest thing is they had a discus tank where the fish died in 2 days

Sad face

My story sorta sounds like the original post except we took my grandpa to the fish store and he acted like a little kid. My father thought it was the funniest

The nearest awesome fish store is about an hour drive away. I still like to drive down there occasionally just to look at all the amazing fish that I can't have just yet.

I have 5 places to go within an hour of me. Sometimes I make a day trip out of it and go to every place. Get some lunch and look at 100s of fish for 4 hours! My fiance usually finds the closest chair or latter or anything she can sit on while I indulge.

I'm in the same boat as Mebbid. The really good fish shops are an hour drive away. So it's the occasional indulgence for me also. Living is a small town, there's not many people to talk fish with. And advanced planted tanks? Forget it.
You go into one of our local shops and ask about something and you'd think you just spoke to them in a foreign language. Sigh.... OS.

Mine is also a lot like the OPs except it's my boyfriend and I together and we act like kids in a candy store... We also have an amazing Petco branch near us. The manager is amazing and knows both of us by name as well as all the people in the fish department. They are awesome about taking fish back from people even if they didn't buy them there just so the fish has a better chance at life. Some of them the manager takes home where he has tons of tanks. I've been there when he tells someone he won't sell them something because they don't have a large enough tank or the right kind if tank.

There is a pet store far from my house but its worth the drive. They have amazing fish and display tanks plus they support breeding fish locally.

I'm in the same boat as Mebbid. The really good fish shops are an hour drive away. So it's the occasional indulgence for me also. Living is a small town, there's not many people to talk fish with. And advanced planted tanks? Forget it.
You go into one of our local shops and ask about something and you'd think you just spoke to them in a foreign language. Sigh.... OS.

All but one of mine is just basic places that dont know much. I asked one place if they ever stock Geos and he said they usually dont have rocks for sale haha. Also, I asked one place if they ever had plants, and he didnt even know you could put plants in fish tanks. Oi vey! But the place I go to the most are very good owners that know a lot, but its SOOO over priced. They have super healthy and clean tanks, keep them seperatley filterd, and will always take back anything you buy. But they charge $18 for 3 of any kinds of basic tetras.

I've got 3 or so lfs that I go to. One has some massive display tanks with large fish that are always fun to look at (and dream of :) )

Back
Top Bottom