Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: I am a:
Dog Person 42 75.00%
Cat Person 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's not true - dogs can take care of themselves in all the same ways. Alright, maybe they won't poop in a box on the kitchen floor...

As far as neediness, this was what I wanted to find out. I theorized that far more "cat" people would be fish-tank owners than "dog" people. Obviously, I was off on that one.

A dog only seems needy because it wants to interact with it's owners - and it seems to me that "dog" people want to interact with their pets. At the risk of offending the hyper-sensitive, cat-owners seem to have a "hands-off" approach to pets and don't need to necessarily interact with them to enjoy their company. Fish would fall neatly into that "hands-off" category.

New theory:

People who enjoy fish also enjoy dogs because both animals are interesting. Cats are, well...

I'll stop there.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
There is no theory. Cat people like cats because they do. While dog people like dogs because they do. You can't just tac a label on cat people like some of you guys have been doing.

Im not hyper sensitive about the cats, Im hyper sensitive as being labled all of these ridiculous things.
"Dog people want to interact with their pets"
Thats a load of horse poo. I think thats what you don't get... because you *dog* people don't interact with cats, doesn't mean us cat people do the same. I play with my cat all the time, I talk to her and she talks back.

Stop trying to figure why people like cats because all you are doing is being irritating.

*snarf*

Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds to me that some members are out to make people mad. Remember that this is a family oriented forum, and although it's ok to disagree, there are ways of doing it without hurting someone else. Seems to me that some people would love to get a flame war started, and that will not be tolerated here at AA. Please try and understand, and get my drift here. It is not flying well with the God's that be. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand the point of this thread. For the record, I am currently a cat-gerbil-degu-fish person, even though we own birds too, they are not my thing. One day soon I hope to be a cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish person. By the end of next year, I may become a baby-cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish person. And if the powers that be see me through all that, in 10 years, after we are settled down, I hope to become a teenager-cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish-button quail-hamster-hedgehog-mini pony-goat-dwarf rabbit-maybe a couple of sheep-full sized horse person with lots of money so someone else cleans up after all the pets. In the very distant future, I will be a retired person and visit my kid's zoos.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have cats and I have fish. I also have a very bad temper when pushed.

I dont like dogs but would and am consitering one since my wife says we need one for our child. We are thinking about one of those retired police dogs.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Cats are way more fun than dogs. Laser pointer+dark hallway+cat=hours of fun for all (including the cat). When Leo was small, we gave him a toy stuffed lion that was about the same size as him. When you throw it his way he'll jump to catch it. We called it his Jerry Rice impersonation (he's jumped as high as 4 feet to catch it). He carries it around the apartment in his mouth.

When he wants privacy, he slinks off where we can't find him. When he wants attention, he solicits it from us. We interact just fine; it's more of an adult relationship as opposed to a parent-toddler relationship (most dog owners I know say having a dog is a lot like having a young child).

Cats still rule!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
I am currently a cat-gerbil-degu-fish person, even though we own birds too, they are not my thing. One day soon I hope to be a cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish person. By the end of next year, I may become a baby-cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish person. And if the powers that be see me through all that, in 10 years, after we are settled down, I hope to become a teenager-cat-dog-gerbil-degu-fish-button quail-hamster-hedgehog-mini pony-goat-dwarf rabbit-maybe a couple of sheep-full sized horse person with lots of money so someone else cleans up after all the pets.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow. No reason to get upset about a cat/dog thread.

This is the Open Forum, correct? Don't have too many political/religious discussions around here I'll wager.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
This is the Open Forum, correct? Don't have too many political/religious discussions around here I'll wager.
Yes it is an open forum, but topics that "stir the pot" so to speak have had a history of getting out of line at some point. Thats why you see a lot of moderator responding to this thread recently. Some are feeling that this one is getting close and we just would like to see things stay civil.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
Don't have too many political/religious discussions around here I'll wager.
They end up locked pretty quick. Too many people want to "get the last word in" and discussions turn into something other than discussions.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Cats Rule!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com