Funniest fish stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
I'm starting this thread for the heck of it.

I'm sure most of us sit and watch our fish and see some interesting if not down right funny behavior going on. So I thought why not start a post about what we see.

I'll start it off with 2.

In our 55g we have a common pleco named Gonzo. He got this name because he goes gonzo when I'm doing the weekly cleaning. He races around the tank acting like he wants to avoid the gravel cleaner only to end up attacking it after a few minutes until I'm done. By time I'm ready to pull it out of the tank, he's stuck to it with his fins flared out.

When our 55 was close to the end of the cycle we added 12 rosey reds. They were to help finish the cycle and to be feeders for the cichlids. The cycle finished and we added 2 JD's (a week apart with a water change in between additions) Then we added 2 Jewels (same precautions) Once they were all established and picked territories we noticed the male roseys were getting the "fat head" which is a sign they're ready to start breeding. The Jewels had staked out claims in the flower pots we put in the tanks, but the roseys had other plans. They got so agressive towards the Jewels that the Jewels moved out to under the DW and to roseys took over all the pots. If a Jewel or a JD swan too close to a pot the rosey male would come out and attack. A rosey attacking a cichlid!!! Who would have thought!! To this day, our 1 original JD and 1 original Jewel think twice before feeding on the roseys we give them once a week.

My pleco got too big. (I know to never buy one again) he jumped out of the tank twice and is still living, but I think he has brain damage because he won't eat algae at all. Then there was another crazy time when one of the frogs I had got stuck in the filter and pretty much "drowned" so I took him out and pushed him back into the water (I don't know my logic behind that.. but I guess if it worked for the pleco it'd work for the frog) And I came back a few hours later and he was alive!

Back
Top Bottom