Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #131
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Yes but feeding live fish is unhealthy and glofish are expensive/ beautiful.
Agreed, kinda

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
Yes but feeding live fish is unhealthy and glofish are expensive/ beautiful.
I dont understand how feeding live fish is unhealthy if its done in the wild...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Alot of feeders are over bred and more prone to disease. IMO Feeding glofish or tetras altho more costly would limit chance of disease.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #134
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could just feed neons, there roughly 2 bucks a pop, so relatively cheap, as long as just for treats
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
You could just feed neons, there roughly 2 bucks a pop, so relatively cheap, as long as just for treats
I would say zebra danios. They're really cheap! Lol.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I overheard some girl at school saying she wants a "fishie". Her friend suggests 2 bettas in a bowl becaause its fun to watch them fight :/
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #137
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I overheard some girl at school saying she wants a "fishie". Her friend suggests 2 bettas in a bowl becaause its fun to watch them fight :/
That is nothing more than dog fighting to me. I understand they fight in the wild but in the wild they can try to escape
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburk9 View Post
Alot of feeders are over bred and more prone to disease. IMO Feeding glofish or tetras altho more costly would limit chance of disease.
when i had my eel i would buy about 20 or so feeder goldfish put them in a separate tank fatten them up on good feed for about 2 weeks make sure they were healthy too and then they would get fed to my eel, never once had a problem doing it this way and my eel was a very happy camper

my funny fish story involves my son and an eel at the LFS
my son was watching an eel tank at the LFS and the owner had just put a bunch of live feeders in the tank and one eel swam up and snatched up the fish in one fall swoop, my son said wow mommy he's a really good magician, i then said huh?
he said "he made that fish disappear really fast" lol
he then ask if there was a magic word to make the fish reappear
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #139
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Posted this awhile ago but its worth repeating! Long story, short my fish-senseless husband asked the girl at [store] why he couldnt add some mollies/platies to one of 'our' goldie tanks. Mind you, I have explained why you cant do this do this to him over 100x before but he chooses to only 'selectively' hear what I have to say. Anyway, the girl proceeded to explain that "goldfish have special, secret killer bacteria on them and if you add any other fish to the tank, it will die immediately"..... I had to walk quickly away from this conversation! lol
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had been to many [store]. You can tell when a [store] has a knowledgeable fish person taking care of the fish and when they don't. I had gone to one last night in Crawfordsville Indiana and what I saw has no excuse.

Tons of Bala Sharks in a really small tank, with many dead on the bottom and many sick swimming around. They were all to one side trying to swim into the other tank, it was a very sad sight. The torturer didn't stop there, they had Dwarf Gourami swimming in a small tank as well, and they ALL looked sick. There was at least five dead Gourami's in the tank that had been decaying for a long time without being cleaned out. Each tank was bare with nothing for the fish, no rock nothing. I couldn't count how many dead fish was in the tank. I don't even want to talk about the glow fish, neon tetras and the gold fish they had in tanks. At least there was no dead gold fish, but they are use to living in crap. :-(

It was very sad and I wanted to say something, but who cares about fish!! That is what gets me, people just don't care about fish.

I don't think of fish as in terms of Dogs or Cats or Birds that need your care, and I am not very sad if one dies on me. I am however, a believer in trying to give the best care possible to an animal that is kept for entertainment or pets.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com