Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think all Wal-Marts and Petco's are created equal. I had gone to some Wal-Marts (Not Many) that has had very healthy looking fish and had no bare bottom tanks for them. That's why I think it all depends on the person that works that section.

The Petco's around me don't seem that bad. I never seen a dead fish in the Petco's I have been at in Indianapolis and Cincinnati. I don't buy my fish from Petco being they don't sale saltwater fish. I do buy supplies and for the most part the information I have gotten from the clerks match up to what you guys say here.

I had something funny at Jacks pets in Harrison oh.

Some guy was buying a really cool big catfish, I think it was a Red Tail cat. So at least 300 gallon tank size for this guy. He was putting it in a 55 gallon tank and I had asked. "Do you really think that is big enough for that guy"? His reply "I have a pound in the back of my house I will put him in when he gets too big".

Now I don't know if that is ok, it is a catfish and I am sure it will be fine in a BIG pound. I am just wondering whats the point of paying $60 dollars for a fish you can't enjoy for a long time?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I don't think all Wal-Marts and Petco's are created equal. I had gone to some Wal-Marts (Not Many) that has had very healthy looking fish and had no bare bottom tanks for them. That's why I think it all depends on the person that works that section.

The Petco's around me don't seem that bad. I never seen a dead fish in the Petco's I have been at in Indianapolis and Cincinnati. I don't buy my fish from Petco being they don't sale saltwater fish. I do buy supplies and for the most part the information I have gotten from the clerks match up to what you guys say here.

I had something funny at Jacks pets in Harrison oh.

Some guy was buying a really cool big catfish, I think it was a Red Tail cat. So at least 300 gallon tank size for this guy. He was putting it in a 55 gallon tank and I had asked. "Do you really think that is big enough for that guy"? His reply "I have a pound in the back of my house I will put him in when he gets too big".

Now I don't know if that is ok, it is a catfish and I am sure it will be fine in a BIG pound. I am just wondering whats the point of paying $60 dollars for a fish you can't enjoy for a long time?
Depending what kind of pond it is, if you can fish it, can you imagine hooking into that big cat in a few years?!? Set the drag and hang on.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
Depending what kind of pond it is, if you can fish it, can you imagine hooking into that big cat in a few years?!? Set the drag and hang on.
That's an expensive way to stock your pound. :-p

I think having that big of a Cat in a 55 gallon is retarded anyway, you can only keep it in there for maybe a month before it goes to the pond. I am sure the poor thing is still suffering in a tank too small for it. This was three months ago, so this thing has to be big now.

Another thing I had happen at Church no less.

Our Pastor was talking about how ALL fish will not outgrow their tank environment, they will only grow to how big their environments will let them. He even said Sharks (Saltwater) would only grow to the size of the tank. He was using this analogy as to say we need to break out of our tanks so we can grow in our faith. Anyone that watch the show "Tanked" would know a Shark can outgrow their tank very fast and needs to be moved to a bigger tank. I am sure their is sharks where his statement holds true, but he said ALL fish and Sharks. I wanted to tell him that it was wrong as I had clown loaches in a 29 gallon that was outgrowing their environment. I was unable to get to him to tell him he needed to change his analogy. It was a large church and he was very busy.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282

That's an expensive way to stock your pound. :-p

I think having that big of a Cat in a 55 gallon is retarded anyway, you can only keep it in there for maybe a month before it goes to the pond. I am sure the poor thing is still suffering in a tank too small for it. This was three months ago, so this thing has to be big now.

Another thing I had happen at Church no less.

Our Pastor was talking about how ALL fish will not outgrow their tank environment, they will only grow to how big their environments will let them. He even said Sharks (Saltwater) would only grow to the size of the tank. He was using this analogy as to say we need to break out of our tanks so we can grow in our faith. Anyone that watch the show "Tanked" would know a Shark can outgrow their tank very fast and needs to be moved to a bigger tank. I am sure their is sharks where his statement holds true, but he said ALL fish and Sharks. I wanted to tell him that it was wrong as I had clown loaches in a 29 gallon that was outgrowing their environment. I was unable to get to him to tell him he needed to change his analogy. It was a large church and he was very busy.
Haha Oh well, at least his point still got across
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking at plants the other day @ the LFS - another customer comes up and asks me 'do you plant these?'. I sat sarcastically said 'no if course not' and walked away
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecurity
Looking at plants the other day @ the LFS - another customer comes up and asks me 'do you plant these?'. I sat sarcastically said 'no if course not' and walked away
Thats rude
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecurity
Rude? yes.... First thing in this thread that's made me laugh? YES!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #148
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Had a lady at [store] tell me I was doing wrong by my Tiger Barbs by keeping 5 of them in a 10 gal. (I'm in the middle of moving) Me in all my curiosity ask why. She replied they will grow out to be 14". I said really now? She said yes. I ask," where did she hear that." She then decided to point to a tag on the stack aquarium thing that hold all their fish. I looked and ask her to read it for me. She looked then said," Oh!" I said," thought so." She said, "sorry, would you like a tiger oscar?" I told her not today lol
Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice FINatic

14"? I'd like to see that tiger barb.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #150
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

AA does not allow store bashing. Please keep this in mind. Posts have been edited to remove the names of specific stores.
Any further incidents of store bashing will result in the thread being closed.
Please try to keep it civil and not insult specific places. I liked reading this thread and I would rather not close it.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com