Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #171
Look It Up

Wow so many things lol Most revolve around bettas ("Yes you can keep them in this 2 g bowl with a bunch of other fish") and cycling ("Run the tank for a week then you're good to go"). If I hear a bunch of bad advice being given, I'll hide and follow them around the store then wait until the employee walks away, then I approach the customer and tell them the truth. Most times they appreciate it, especially when the employee tries to sell them a bunch of chemicals they really don't need. Try it, it's fun

Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl
Wow so many things lol Most revolve around bettas ("Yes you can keep them in this 2 g bowl with a bunch of other fish") and cycling ("Run the tank for a week then you're good to go"). If I hear a bunch of bad advice being given, I'll hide and follow them around the store then wait until the employee walks away, then I approach the customer and tell them the truth. Most times they appreciate it, especially when the employee tries to sell them a bunch of chemicals they really don't need. Try it, it's fun
I did that once. The people looked at me like I was a psycho and carried on with their Betta and half gallon bowl.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #173
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
I did that once. The people looked at me like I was a psycho and carried on with their Betta and half gallon bowl.
I have done Betta's in a two gallon bowl, but I was not the one to set it up and let it just sit there like some people are. I cleaned the whole bowl out once every week. I kept the water clean and only used R/O water. They can be done in a bowl without any filtration or heater as long as you keep it in a warm part of the house and clean their water out every week. Had my first Betta for 3 1/2 years nice and healthy. He moved twice with me, miss that guy. :-p
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #174
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post

Lol!!! I have tried this before and they usually look at me like I am an alien from outer space! This is what has worked for me though- rather than attempting to explain, Ill suggest they look up this forum as soon as they get home or to check out the app. Half the time, they will pull their phones out and download the app on the spot. Atleast I know they are in good hands even if they do decide to buy that 1g starter tank for five goldfish that was suggested by the store employee....
Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #175
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like it when the employees tries to sell to me. I always listen then start asking them question to see how much they really know. Only a few pass me as responsible sales associates but there are a few that actually know what they're talking about.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH
I like it when the employees tries to sell to me. I always listen then start asking them question to see how much they really know. Only a few pass me as responsible sales associates but there are a few that actually know what they're talking about.
I do that all the time. I ask them rhetorical questions all the time just cus I like to see who actually knows what they're doing.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to tamtam
I was at the pet store last week and there was a couple looking for fish for their tank. They had a general want to stock their tank properly and asked a lot of questions.

Most of the guys answers were "I dont know" but there were a few doozies.

They had a 20 gallon tank with some different tetras. He suggested they get a RTS for the tank. Told them that it gets about a foot long but when it starts to get too big or they notice it stops growing they are free to bring it back and trade it in for a smaller one.

He told them that they couldn't have platies because they don't share the same water chemistry as the tetras.

He also tried to sell them a common pleco.

I actually striked up a convo with them about honey gouramis and they ended up walking out with 1 of them and seemed pretty happy with the idea of something that would stay in their tank. Then the worker thanked me lol.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #178
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtam
I was at the pet store last week and there was a couple looking for fish for their tank. They had a general want to stock their tank properly and asked a lot of questions.

Most of the guys answers were "I dont know" but there were a few doozies.

They had a 20 gallon tank with some different tetras. He suggested they get a RTS for the tank. Told them that it gets about a foot long but when it starts to get too big or they notice it stops growing they are free to bring it back and trade it in for a smaller one.

He told them that they couldn't have platies because they don't share the same water chemistry as the tetras.

He also tried to sell them a common pleco.

I actually striked up a convo with them about honey gouramis and they ended up walking out with 1 of them and seemed pretty happy with the idea of something that would stay in their tank. Then the worker thanked me lol.
Yea I've had that happen before too. Employee giving horrible advice, so I chime in and help. Feel like I should be getting free supplies and fish for all the work I've done for the people who actually work there. Lol. Maybe ill propose that idea to the owner. I volunteer a few hours a week in return for a nice discount.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #179
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well... Went to my lfs the other day and this lady was looking at the cichlid area. She seemed to like the playful pink convict and while talking to me and the owner said she was looking to replace an older oscar cichlid who had passed away. I ask her how old was he and how big did he get. She said she kept him in a 30 gallon and he got to be 8" and was surprised he lived for 4 years cause fish usually grow to fit the tank and most of the goldfish died in the first year. Facepalm.

I did inform her that her oscar didn't live as long as other oscars and I have seen 16+" oscars that lived 10+ years. She was baffled that fish actually live that long....
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was in Petsmart Thursday. There was a man and his younger son in, both holding books that they had picked up off the shelf on fish. The son goes up to the employee-
Boy-"Do you have (forgot the name of the saltwater fish he mentioned)?
Employee-"No."
Boy-"Do you have pirahnas?"
Employee-"No."
Boy-Do you have(Insert random hard to find fish name here.)?
Employee-"NO!"
And on it went.

Closed Thread

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com