Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990
I heard a little kid point out some fancy goldfish to his mom and said: they swim funny, are they drunk?
Lol! That one is cute.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Years ago, a young gal at a LFS (now closed) was walkin' 'round with one of those old-fashioned 2 gallon drum bowls. She asks the clerk/owner what she could put in it. The owner says, "What kind of fish do you want?"

So far, so good.

The gal says, " I really want some of those red-bellied pirahnas."

Without missin' a beat, the owner says, "You could put two in there."

WYite

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Funniest thing I've heard is probably what I heard yesterday-
Lady- Do you have any of those squishy things with shells(snails)?
Employee- Yes. What size tank do you have?
Lady- oh like one of those little ones
Employee- you can have two then
Lol
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I get a dwarf puffer?
LFS: they can't be kept in freshwater.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I remember having a discussion with someone when I worked in and LFS where she had a hard time believing a big fish would eat a little fish from the same part of the world. I guess she figured they ordered tank out or would swim across the ocean for lunch.

It was also always difficult to explain to customers why and how we would crowd fish in the stock tanks but they shouldn't do the same at home. (You guys have like 50 fish in that 10 gallon tank, I just want 20 in mine. . .)

We commonly had customers ask for "piscotomus" (plecostomus), "allergy eaters" (algae eaters), and "chiklets" (cichlids). The worst one that speaks volumes for the misinformation out there was "s*#t eaters." I think that was supposed to be another term for a plecostomus. Believe it or not, I heard ALL of those multiple times in a week.

I also had plenty of customers ask me "What does this fish do?" I was never sure what kind of answer they expected. At the end of the day, they all swim, eat, and poop. "This one delivers the mail" maybe?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh man, I have so many of these!!! I work in a pet store, so I sure hear a lot of funny things...

We had a super gorgeous dumbo ear betta, $53 price tag. One lady came in, and admired that betta. I informed her of he price, and she said "do you have any of those $5 ones that look just like the expensive one?" with a total straight face. I really wanted to say "oh yes, we actually keep the cheap fancy ones in the back in case someone asks!" what the heck would be the point in having a $53 one that looks identical to the $5 ones????

One guy bought a goldfish, and later asked "oh, by the way is it trained?" completely serious. My question is, what would he expect a fish to be trained to do?!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlmaddy
Oh man, I have so many of these!!! I work in a pet store, so I sure hear a lot of funny things...

We had a super gorgeous dumbo ear betta, $53 price tag. One lady came in, and admired that betta. I informed her of he price, and she said "do you have any of those $5 ones that look just like the expensive one?" with a total straight face. I really wanted to say "oh yes, we actually keep the cheap fancy ones in the back in case someone asks!" what the heck would be the point in having a $53 one that looks identical to the $5 ones????

One guy bought a goldfish, and later asked "oh, by the way is it trained?" completely serious. My question is, what would he expect a fish to be trained to do?!
Insert 'here is your sign' slogan here.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heard a lady asking an employee at the LFS why her bettas keep dying. Me being curious and always trying to add my two cents, continued listening. Come to find out she has been feeding them her table scraps!?!?!? I was completely befuddled by this. Good thing about this store is that everybody there is extremely knowledgable and don't care about hurting someone's feelings if they are needlessly killing fish and plants because of incompetence and unwillingness to do a little reading before just blindly buying an aquarium and fish.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

[store]

"Oh yeah u can put as many fish as u want in a 30 gallon"
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlavassor86 View Post
Heard a lady asking an employee at the LFS why her bettas keep dying. Me being curious and always trying to add my two cents, continued listening. Come to find out she has been feeding them her table scraps!?!?!? I was completely befuddled by this. Good thing about this store is that everybody there is extremely knowledgable and don't care about hurting someone's feelings if they are needlessly killing fish and plants because of incompetence and unwillingness to do a little reading before just blindly buying an aquarium and fish.

That reminded me of one.... Year ago, before the Aquarium Adventure in this area closed I was in there and a woman went up to one of the sales people (I got the impression she was a notorious regular) and pulled a baggie of dead neons out of her purse and said, "These fish died, give me more."

Sales guy replied, "Why? So they can die too?"

Thats probly why they went out of business here, too many ignorant buyers and they actually cared about the fish enough not to just sell to make money.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com