Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Lady- i want a small, easy to care for tank

LFS lady- here, if you get this (2.5 gallon bowl, guess where this is heading) you can have a betta fish, and some little frogs (ADFs) in it, no problem.

Lady- well, what should I feed it? And what else should I do?

LFS lady- well, you get this betta food, some of that, this, and this. They should both be great. As for other care, well, you can buy the frogs now, but wait on the betta. Now, what I do is put this betta sand in, then a bamboo plant, and some betta rocks, and that, and this & this, add a bit of that to the the first water you get, and every time after that. And change half the water every 2 weeks. And your good.

Lady- ok, thanx I'll do that *walks out of store with 125$ worth of unneeded junk, and doomed frogs, with plans of unknowingly dooming a betta in the near future*
Poor poor frogs and future betta

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today, this young teenage female was assisting me on getting me some fish. I told I wanted this pleco (the only pleco in the tank). I moved on down the row to tell her what else I wanted. Well by the time I looked back at her; she is in the middle of bagging one little Molly. I said mam... That's not a pleco. She said "I don't know what that is".

Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #223
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronCade View Post
Today, this young teenage female was assisting me on getting me some fish. I told I wanted this pleco (the only pleco in the tank). I moved on down the row to tell her what else I wanted. Well by the time I looked back at her; she is in the middle of bagging one little Molly. I said mam... That's not a pleco. She said "I don't know what that is".
Yikes. That's embarrassing.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #224
Aquarium Advice Regular

I went to the pet store to get some more tetra and they have a huge tank with a bunch of cichlids and a massive Pacu.. I like to check out the pacu whenever we go and he was gone! And the huge tank was filled with minnows and common / comet goldfish. So I asked the chick working what happened to him & the others and she said that when someone was cleaning the tank and bleached the rocks they didn't rinse the rocks properly and put them back in the tank. ALL the fish in that tank died except for the Pacu.. He got sent to the other store location. She said they wanted him back after that mishap! Yeesh!!

Bleached the rocks! Anyone heard of that one before?? That sounds absolutely crazy to me!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadySmoke View Post
I went to the pet store to get some more tetra and they have a huge tank with a bunch of cichlids and a massive Pacu.. I like to check out the pacu whenever we go and he was gone! And the huge tank was filled with minnows and common / comet goldfish. So I asked the chick working what happened to him & the others and she said that when someone was cleaning the tank and bleached the rocks they didn't rinse the rocks properly and put them back in the tank. ALL the fish in that tank died except for the Pacu.. He got sent to the other store location. She said they wanted him back after that mishap! Yeesh!!

Bleached the rocks! Anyone heard of that one before?? That sounds absolutely crazy to me!
Umm.. Wow. The only time I EVER used bleach for a tank was when I got my 55, it was absolutely nasty, it had been sitting in a shed for 6+ months, and cleaned it up. I rinsed it out and it stayed outside for days until I even brought it back inside my house. That must have been one tough Pacu!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post

Umm.. Wow. The only time I EVER used bleach for a tank was when I got my 55, it was absolutely nasty, it had been sitting in a shed for 6+ months, and cleaned it up. I rinsed it out and it stayed outside for days until I even brought it back inside my house. That must have been one tough Pacu!
Not wanting to sound like a crazy lfs customer but when ever i see the pacus at the store i always growl at them and tell them to show me their teethers but only when no one is looking lol
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #227
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadySmoke View Post

Yea that's pretty normal to do. Kills all the algae on ornaments and rocks. The thing is you gotta rinse it over and over and add a ton of dechlor or else that happens.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #228
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup, bleach is ok.....when diluted properly. It's used to regenerate Purigen as well. It has to be straight bleach, not the scented ones. And you definitely have to rinse the heck out of everything before putting back in the tank.

Regardless, what was done in that situation is just flat out bad. If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, then you shouldn't do it. Poor fish.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #229
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh interesting, I had no idea that was something people really do! Haha.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is a story I posted on another thread that I have going just thought I would share it. I didn't hear this at a pet store it is a story my dad and grandad told me. When my dad was little my grandmother had a very large aquarium with all sorts of pretty fish and live plants she spend hours every day caring for them. My family is from middle Tennessee. Overalls, bare feet, outhouse. Do you hear the banjos yet?. I'm exaggerating a little.my grandad was educated and retired out of the navy as a meteorologist had a good job but he was still country. He loved to fish. One day while at the creek he found a small bass about 5 or 6 inches long do he caught it with a net and took it home with him. He tossed it in my grandmothers aquarium and didn't tell her. She woke up the next day to find only one fat little fish in her aquarium.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com