Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bettaowner said:
Walmart told me their green puffer would do fine with my bumblebee gobies. Didn't tell me anything else.

I stopped believing anything [store] has to say about fish keeping after they sold me (my fault I realize for not researching the fish) a couple of Senegal bichirs. One of them ate the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
clearancepuppy said:
I stopped believing anything [store] has to say about fish keeping after they sold me (my fault I realize for not researching the fish) a couple of Senegal bichirs. One of them ate the other.

I had no clue [store] sold aquarium supplies and fish. Sounds kinda stupid to me. The idiots there couldn't tell me about a vacuum they sell let alone be knowledgeable in regards to keeping aquariums. The LFS by me told me yesterday they are closing next month because they won't be able to compete with [store] that's opening a new store 2 blocks away. Pretty sad that people who actually have a passion for the hobby are getting pushed out by companies that don't know the difference between a goldfish and a cichlid.

That's so unfortunate! I had a pet store I loved too. If was a fish-only store, actually, and I got some really nice fellas from there. They had a great selection of saltwater fish. Then one day I go there to get a clown goby and find that they're closed. :(

It's okay though because I've found a new really great pet store and am going to check out another one when I can.

LFS attendant bagging my plants: "I don't buy anything here. I drive four hours to a place in Quebec."

LFS attendant bagging some platies for me: "These are beautiful mollies!"

Bettafanatic said:
That's so unfortunate! I had a pet store I loved too. If was a fish-only store, actually, and I got some really nice fellas from there. They had a great selection of saltwater fish. Then one day I go there to get a clown goby and find that they're closed. :(

It's okay though because I've found a new really great pet store and am going to check out another one when I can.

Yea The one I like best is fish only but they are a lot farther away so it was just easier to go to the one closing. I have a [store] by me but they're all ignorant there to so I avoid that place as much as possible.

The LFS by me told me yesterday they are closing next month because they won't be able to compete with [store] that's opening a new store 2 blocks away. Pretty sad that people who actually have a passion for the hobby are getting pushed out by companies that don't know the difference between a goldfish and a cichlid.

The guy at my LFS said something similar. He's having real trouble competing with the big box stores. I promised myself I would try and buy as much as possible from him. They are so knowledgeable and I feel like that knowledge and help is worth the extra $$$.

callisto9 said:
The guy at my LFS said something similar. He's having real trouble competing with the big box stores. I promised myself I would try and buy as much as possible from him. They are so knowledgeable and I feel like that knowledge and help is worth the extra $$$.

Exactly. I always am willing to pay more for the knowledge and healthier fish. And they give 3 week dead/sick refunds as long as water is good.

My LFS is full of idiots, but there he only place t buy fish for 50 miles in one direction, and about 400-500 miles in the other. And they only give a 3 day, sick fish, dead fish, policy.

Lt. said:
My LFS is full of idiots, but there he only place t buy fish for 50 miles in one direction, and about 400-500 miles in the other. And they only give a 3 day, sick fish, dead fish, policy.

Well thats a better policy then any stores around me give. If it dies within 3 days its the buyers fault. I think 3 days is a longg time considering most stores around me dont care about it as soon as it leaves their store...

San Raphael Catfish said:
I used to work in the fish section of a pet store. Real phone conversation.

Customer-- how do you teach a piranha not to bite?

Me-- they have to bite to eat.

C-- well my friend taught hers not to bite.

Me-- well why don't you ask your friend then?

C-- I'm never coming in your store again. (Hang up)

SRC <><

LMAO!!!!!

Not to my LFS, but to a buddy who think she knows everything there is to know about aqaurium fish because she bought a book about them.

Me: I'm looking for a suitable tank mate for when I get my puffers...maybe I won't have any tankmates.
Friend: (whips out book)- The Chocolate Doradid would be a perfect tank mate.
Me: (looking at the picture): Yes, because you know having an eight inch fish in a 20gal with a fish that it could devour whole, that seems like a great idea.

There was a dead fantail goldfish in a tank and some little kid was freaking out saying ITS DEAD MOMMY ITS DEAD! then the employee came over and was just like its fine hes just having a bad day haha and the kid was satisfied and left. Soon as he left he grabbed the dead fish and ran to the basement .

Koikeeper99 said:
There was a dead fantail goldfish in a tank and some little kid was freaking out saying ITS DEAD MOMMY ITS DEAD! then the employee came over and was just like its fine hes just having a bad day haha and the kid was satisfied and left. Soon as he left he grabbed the dead fish and ran to the basement .

Lol. When i was 5 i got a "carnival goldfish" eventually through books, trial and error, and a great lfs (how did we survive with no internet!?!) my dad had hundreds of gallons of fish tanks but to start that fish was in a small tank. We went on vacation and the neighbor took care of the pets. The goldfish died and the neighbor replaced it. When we came home my parents told me, "your fish got really sick and lost a lot of weight, but she feels better now." That replacement goldfish lived until i was in my teens, and then 25 years after, i finally told my mom i knew the truth about what happened to the original, lol.

Kellie said:
Lol. When i was 5 i got a "carnival goldfish" eventually through books, trial and error, and a great lfs (how did we survive with no internet!?!) my dad had hundreds of gallons of fish tanks but to start that fish was in a small tank. We went on vacation and the neighbor took care of the pets. The goldfish died and the neighbor replaced it. When we came home my parents told me, "your fish got really sick and lost a lot of weight, but she feels better now." That replacement goldfish lived until i was in my teens, and then 25 years after, i finally told my mom i knew the truth about what happened to the original, lol.

Haha how big did it get just curious? But 25 years later!? Youd think theyd forget haha

Koikeeper99 said:
Haha how big did it get just curious? But 25 years later!? Youd think theyd forget haha

It was over a foot long, if memory serves. We also had a channel cat in the giant tank (i can't remember how many gallons) which eventually we rehomed, that sucker was so big the only way to transfer it was in a rolling cooler and there wasn't enough room for it to turn in the cooler, the gold fish was not as long as the cat fish who had to be a few feet long.

Kellie said:
It was over a foot long, if memory serves. We also had a channel cat in the giant tank (i can't remember how many gallons) which eventually we rehomed, that sucker was so big the only way to transfer it was in a rolling cooler and there wasn't enough room for it to turn in the cooler, the gold fish was not as long as the cat fish who had to be a few feet long.

Nice! .

Me: how much for your 29 gallon kit? (mind you it wasn't anything fancy. Came with 18w fluorescent hood, a low end filter rated for 30 gallons, a heater and the tank.)
LFS lady: $200 and that's the best deal you'll ever find on one of these, I couldn't even get my money back if I sold it to you for that.
Next day I go to Petsmart and find a 29g kit with better equipment for $115. Lol

Me: I was thinking about starting a 5g pico reef...
LFS lady: (cuts me off) OMG I get so tired of telling people that it is absolutely impossible to keep saltwater tanks under 30 gallons!
Me: uh pretty sure I've seen millions of pictures of tanks like these on the Internet.
Her: they're all fake.
Me: *leaves store, never to return*

Pure ignorance.

Me: how much for your 29 gallon kit? (mind you it wasn't anything fancy. Came with 18w fluorescent hood, a low end filter rated for 30 gallons, a heater and the tank.)
LFS lady: $200 and that's the best deal you'll ever find on one of these, I couldn't even get my money back if I sold it to you for that.
Next day I go to Petsmart and find a 29g kit with better equipment for $115. Lol

Me: I was thinking about starting a 5g pico reef...
LFS lady: (cuts me off) OMG I get so tired of telling people that it is absolutely impossible to keep saltwater tanks under 30 gallons!
Me: uh pretty sure I've seen millions of pictures of tanks like these on the Internet.
Her: they're all fake.
Me: *leaves store, never to return*

Pure ignorance.

:facepalm:

The only thing worse than people not knowing anything is people thinking they know everything but have all false information and refuse to accept that they're wrong. I cannot stand people like that. They make me want to punch a wall out of frustration. :banghead:

Not a funny thing at a store, but I'm currently listening to my mom cleaning her ADF tank, having a running dialogue with them. "ooh scawy scawy scawy, I'm sorry. You're such good little fwoggies, yep yep yep. So good so good. Do you want some yumyums after? You be so good ittle fwoggies! Why wont you sing for me (she's heard my big ACFs "singing") I love you! Okay, waters coming! Whooooosssshhhhh! So scary, such brave little fwoggies. There you go, yep yep yep"

I could listen for days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom