Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the time people who work in fish stores will be some of the most unintelligent people you will ever encounter. To the point where it's practically shocking. Be prepared my friend. It's all laughable in the end though.
Hi thanks I am looking forward to my next visit to my less than knowledgeable fish shop:lol:
My local shop I always go to are unbelievably very knowledgeable:eek: so I am one lucky fish keeper(y) I dare say they could tell me some good stories though:hide:

YaBuddyHuddie said:
Yeah man I'm a Dolphins fan so I really shouldn't even open my mouth. Haha.

Yeah at least your not a Jets. Lol so we cool.

Me checking out fish: so what would I need if I eanted to start a freshwater tank?

LFS employee: a heater, some sea shells, decorations , fish and fish food.

Me: yeahh. Right. Do I need dechlorinator?

LFS employee: what's that?

FeldmansFish said:
Me checking out fish: so what would I need if I eanted to start a freshwater tank?

Shoot me now.

FeldmansFish said:

Y sea shells? Lol

I am really laughing, but in a sad way!

One of my children works at a big box store and she tries to learn as much as possible, (she specializes in small animals not fish) and spends half the day mad about how the fish are kept (since she remembers at least some of what I taught her!)

She recommended I work at a local big box pet store in the fish dept., and I told her no way since I wouldn't let 90% of the people who come in to buy fish ever take one home!

Also I walk around listening to the customers conversations and also the store clerks as well and have had to pull someone aside and recommend AA and doing more research first.

The saddest thing is when the new first time fish owners, mostly involving kids are given a tank and a tank full of fish to go home and set it all up.

In the push to sell stuff fast, most of the customers don't want to keep fish anymore due to the nightmare experience so they lose the customer for future sales. We all know this is addicting and we can't stop with just one little tank!

Even fish tank manufacturers set up directions says to put fish right in or wait a day or two then put in the fish. URRRGH! a day or two, unbelievable.

Thank goodness for the internet and AA!

Autumnsky said:

One of my children works at a big box store and she tries to learn as much as possible, (she specializes in small animals not fish) and spends half the day mad about how the fish are kept (since she remembers at least some of what I taught her!)

She recommended I work at a local big box pet store in the fish dept., and I told her no way since I wouldn't let 90% of the people who come in to buy fish ever take one home!

Also I walk around listening to the customers conversations and also the store clerks as well and have had to pull someone aside and recommend AA and doing more research first.

The saddest thing is when the new first time fish owners, mostly involving kids are given a tank and a tank full of fish to go home and set it all up.

In the push to sell stuff fast, most of the customers don't want to keep fish anymore due to the nightmare experience so they lose the customer for future sales. We all know this is addicting and we can't stop with just one little tank!

Even fish tank manufacturers set up directions says to put fish right in or wait a day or two then put in the fish. URRRGH! a day or two, unbelievable.

You are spot on! This is exactly why I couldn't sell fish for a big box place. I'd get fired for telling too many people 'no'.

Autumnsky said:

That's funny. Me and my brother had the same conversation about a week ago about how we would probably be turning people away until they learned more about what they were doing.

Tetra1990 said:
You are spot on! This is exactly why I couldn't sell fish for a big box place. I'd get fired for telling too many people 'no'.

One of the super hot employees at our local big box has occasionally taught me new things on fish keeping.

The other day he told me "I am the master of the 'no-sale'!" Meaning he frequently says no.... he is great at his job. His theory: "I'd rather they go home empty handed today instead of coming back tomorrow with a dead fish in hand."

Employee: Oh yeah I had to get a big tank for my 4 oscars.

Me: (thinking 220<) How big are they now?

Employee: I don't know maybe all at least 14" in a 110 gal long.

*facepalm*

Sad part she was department head at [a store].....

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot stand the big box stores near me. The other day I was at [store] simply picking up a cleaning magnet and was looking at the fish. I found ATLEAST 5 dead fish in each tank and confronted the guy working the area.

Me "hey man, you know you have over 30 dead fish in these tanks?"

His response was "they're fine they don't harm the fish at all.

So I responded " what about ammonia?"

Him "oh we declorinate the water"

Me "but what about the ammonia?"

Him "we'll were the best store around. I've owned aquariums for my whole life. I'm an expert here."

Me "so you think 30+ dead fish is ok?"

Him "were better than any other store. We are experts."

And this is why I have NEVER bought, nor ever will buy, livestock at [store].
[store] is the worst I've ever experienced.

I cannot stand the big box stores near me. The other day I was at [store] simply picking up a cleaning magnet and was looking at the fish. I found ATLEAST 5 dead fish in each tank and confronted the guy working the area.

Me "hey man, you know you have over 30 dead fish in these tanks?"

His response was "they're fine they don't harm the fish at all.

So I responded " what about ammonia?"

Him "oh we declorinate the water"

Me "but what about the ammonia?"

Him "we'll were the best store around. I've owned aquariums for my whole life. I'm an expert here."

Me "so you think 30+ dead fish is ok?"

Him "were better than any other store. We are experts."

And this is why I have NEVER bought, nor ever will buy, livestock at [store].

[store] is the worst I've ever experienced.

That's horrible...I've been to [store] and I've found about 10 dead fish total. All the tanks had horrible algae, diatoms, and clearly weren't cared for properly.

A LFS employee told me a funny story of how a couple not too long ago walked in their store. The guy was looking for fish and the girlfriend was complaining a lot and seemed disgusted my the fish and was not in the best mood. She leaned against one of their tanks which contains a huge yellow puffer. The employee feeds the puffer and it will "spit" water for food. Well when she was leaning against the tank the puffer thought it was feeding time so it spat water down her neck! She screamed, but in a way she might have got what she deserved. :lol:

A LFS employee told me a funny story of how a couple not too long ago walked in their store. The guy was looking for fish and the girlfriend was complaining a lot and seemed disgusted my the fish and was not in the best mood. She leaned against one of their tanks which contains a huge yellow puffer. The employee feeds the puffer and it will "spit" water for food. Well when she was leaning against the tank the puffer thought it was feeding time so it spat water down her neck! She screamed, but in a way she might have got what she deserved. :lol:

Priceless (y)

obscurereef said:

^WIN!!!

obscurereef said:

To bad some one did not have a camera at the time to tape it and put it on utube

A couple days ago, a pair of teenagers came into the store I worked at and asked if we sold piranha. I said no they're illegal but I was thinking, where would they see piranha in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom