Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by my LFS that the aquarium salt they sell is "special" and won't harm salt intolerant fish and that's it's suitable for all community fish.... ?

Funniest thing I ever heard?
I was once at a store, and asked about their gravel selection. I told him I had a 20 gallon (high) tank. He said "well, since the gravel layer should be less than an inch thick..."

emerald76 said:
I was in Petsmart Thursday. There was a man and his younger son in, both holding books that they had picked up off the shelf on fish. The son goes up to the employee-
Boy-"Do you have (forgot the name of the saltwater fish he mentioned)?
Employee-"No."
Boy-"Do you have pirahnas?"
Employee-"No."
Boy-Do you have(Insert random hard to find fish name here.)?
Employee-"NO!"
And on it went.

That'd be great to see lol

Me: Do you have any cardinal tetras?

Teenaged girl: Yeah, right there.

Me: Those are neon tetras. And a dead frog.

Teenaged girl: What's the difference?

Best thing at the petstore who allows people to bring their dogs into the store. Sadly there tanks are low and uncovered...

"Smokey- get your head out of there!"

Best thing at the petstore who allows people to bring their dogs into the store. Sadly there tanks are low and uncovered...

"Smokey- get your head out of there!"

Ok that is funny.

Not really funny but it baffles me every time I see the tanks of common plecos at the LPS.

3 tanks, size by side labeled small, medium and large. The small is about 2 inches and the large around about 6, if that. Makes me sad every time I see it.

I also had a laugh when I heard a worker trying to explain to a customer why he didn`t really need to replace his media, and not to clean it too much.. but he didn`t really know WHY he shouldn`t or how he should properly do it.

My bf made a funny on purpose the other day. We bought a 55 gallon tank to take advantage of a year end sale, not ready to fill it yet, price was just to good to pass up. He also wanted to convert his small adf tank from gravel to sand so bought a small bag of it and asked the cashier of it was enough. To the cashiers credit i saw him suppress a cringe before he started to say no, then we told him we were kidding lol.

My bf made a funny on purpose the other day. We bought a 55 gallon tank to take advantage of a year end sale, not ready to fill it yet, price was just to good to pass up. He also wanted to convert his small adf tank from gravel to sand so bought a small bag of it and asked the cashier of it was enough. To the cashiers credit i saw him suppress a cringe before he started to say no, then we told him we were kidding lol.

Very funny! I can just see the cringe!

Just yesterday....

customer: We're starting to get algae back in our tank. How can we fix it?
Employee: Change the filters out.
customer: Ok.

Me:* waits for employee to go*.... Have an algae problem, eh?
other customer: yeah. It's not bad but it's coming back.
Me: How long are your lights on every day?
OC: From 7pm to 9pm.
Me: The lights are on far to long...

CO: looks at her son... I TOLD YOU they shouldn't be on that long.
ME: Don't worry kid...algae happens to EVERYONE at sometime.

Just yesterday....

customer: We're starting to get algae back in our tank. How can we fix it?
Employee: Change the filters out.
customer: Ok.

Me:* waits for employee to go*.... Have an algae problem, eh?
other customer: yeah. It's not bad but it's coming back.
Me: How long are your lights on every day?
OC: From 7pm to 9pm.
Me: The lights are on far to long...

CO: looks at her son... I TOLD YOU they shouldn't be on that long.
ME: Don't worry kid...algae happens to EVERYONE at sometime.

Did you happen to tell the customer to not change out the filter cartridge?

Yup. I told them they should clean it in the tank water during a change but not to get rid of it.

I guess I can't say I was surprised to hear this though.

Me either. I remember one day I was in my LFS and a guy came in and either bought a whole aquarium kit or had bought a hood for a tank they had, anyway while I was looking at fish I heard as the man walked out telling the owner 'thanks so much we will be back tomorrow for fish'
I just pray they knew what they are doing!

Well I stop by a new lfs... I think I will use them as a last resort lol

I told them I had a 8" Polleni Cichlid with a 10" Senegal Bichir in a 55 planted aquarium and I was looking into moss and easy plants to care for; well, I was not expecting a lecture on how South/ Central American cichlids should not be with an African bichir and how a single 55 gallon filter could not hold up the bio load. I informed them that my Aquaclear 70 and Eheim 2217 work great and my two guys get along.... I'm still trying to figure out who the SA/CA cichlid is.... Lol

Some of these are really funny! One thing to remember is that 24 out of 25 people that come into pet stores have a terrible setup. It is easy to get jaded when you get asked questions everyday like I have 5 goldfish how many more can I put into my 20g. Then when you basically give them a free seminar about properly keeping aquatic life they look at you like you just made up a bunch of stuff and are lying to them.

Some of these are really funny! One thing to remember is that 24 out of 25 people that come into pet stores have a terrible setup. It is easy to get jaded when you get asked questions everyday like I have 5 goldfish how many more can I put into my 20g. Then when you basically give them a free seminar about properly keeping aquatic life they look at you like you just made up a bunch of stuff and are lying to them.

I can relate to that, i used to work at an electronics store and at least once a week someone would be looking for a "ubs" cord. I'm sure the various pronunciations of kicklid and chicled is just as annoying. at least my dumb customers weren't killing things though.

Hi visited my local shop today which is an amazing shop so what's it doing here I hear you ask:cool: Well I had popped in to have a chat and sort out a few things with me mate who works there and he seemed rather flustered? So I asked what was up? An he said their show tank had overflowed during the night and had flooded half the shop:eek: to which i got a guided tour of the 'damage' mainly just water every where:lol: Although some stock had been damaged but only the boxes so no real harm done(y) so even the best shops can have problems:eek:
He showed me the tank and only about two or three inches down from the top so not to much had come out of the tank but then again its a 300 gallon tank and they must have lost best part of 50 gallons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom