Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a sec......you mean you can't just bring fish home and throw them in some water?! haha

The amount of people who believe that is astonishing. It always confuses me that people would spend so much money on a tank and then do absolutely no research whatsoever on what else they need or how to maintain it.

Yeah. The urination thing is nice. I had to get my carpet cleaned today since my dog is finally potty trained. Lol.

Just saying whoever said fish were more work had never had a long haired Maltese! But i love all my pets furry and fined. My dog does get jealous when its fish feeding time its pretty funny.

Kellie said:
But at least the fish don't try to steal my blanket and pillows lol and the fish don't get stinky when wet.

Dead fish get stinky when wet or dry, lol.

Kellie said:
Just saying whoever said fish were more work had never had a long haired Maltese! But i love all my pets furry and fined. My dog does get jealous when its fish feeding time its pretty funny.

My dog too! Every time I stare into my fishtanks she come up to me and nudges me and rubs against me to be petted.

I feel your pain. We have a cocker spaniel, a yorkie, and a miniature schnauzer. Lol. Our dogs LOVE the fish. They watch and wag their tails. Well, the cocker and schnauzer do. My yorkie is better than everyone else...... :rolleyes:

Today I visited 2 pet stores. The first one made me smile. It's not very often to hear good advise from a chain store employee, but this guy is why I will drive farther for this pet smart. A woman came in looking at the gold fish section.
Woman: how many can I put in my 5 gallon tank?
Emp: none
Woman: why not? They aren't longer than the tank
Emp: is this your first experience with a tank?
Woman: yes. It's for my grand daughter. We will be setting it up tonight. We want some gold fish because they are big and you can really see them.
The employee explained why she can't have any gold fish in the 5 gallon. He then said since the tank is not set up at all, he won't be able to sell her any fish. He then gave her some information on setting it up!

The next shop had me a little surprised. I haven't seen this elsewhere..... The employees brought their common plecos in to live in the feeder and plant tanks. They are quite large. The biggest was 18 inches with two 9 inches in the 50 gallon plant tank. The other was about 12 inches living in the feeder gold fish tank.

Today I visited 2 pet stores. The first one made me smile. It's not very often to hear good advise from a chain store employee, but this guy is why I will drive farther for this pet smart. A woman came in looking at the gold fish section.
Woman: yes. It's for my grand daughter. We will be setting it up tonight. We want some gold fish because they are big and you can really see them.
The employee explained why she can't have any gold fish in the 5 gallon. He then said since the tank is not set up at all, he won't be able to sell her any fish. He then gave her some information on setting it up!

The next shop had me a little surprised. I haven't seen this elsewhere..... The employees brought their common plecos in to live in the feeder and plant tanks. They are quite large. The biggest was 18 inches with two 9 inches in the 50 gallon plant tank. The other was about 12 inches living in the feeder gold fish tank.

I think the fact that they house pleco's at nearly their full size so customers can understand just because you buy the fish when it's a few inches doesn't mean it will be that size forever is good, most people dont realize how big commons get. However I couldnt imagine a 18 inch pleco in a 50g though... Yikes.

I would drive for that petsmart too, that's like a one in a million thing that an employee of a chain
store store gives solid advice. Wow that's awesome!

That is rare. I have a Petsmart by me that has pretty good people. The guy who runs the fish dept used to own his own shop, so he's on point. I went in there to buy a couple of cherry barbs to add to my school. The person that helped me started asking questions about the size of my tank, what type of fish I had.....I was impressed at first. Then the questions started getting random, and you could tell she was just running through a list in her head. So I started asking more difficult questions.......exposed! Oh well, I guess it's a step in the right direction.

I think the fact that they house pleco's at nearly their full size so customers can understand just because you buy the fish when it's a few inches doesn't mean it will be that size forever is good, most people dont realize how big commons get. However I couldnt imagine a 18 inch pleco in a 50g though... Yikes.

My lfs does this! Love it! They have plecos, giant danios, silver dollars, and cichlids all at least almost full grown. I think it's great for customers to see what that fish that they're putting in their 10 g will turn into.

It is a great a idea, and it works. My wife saw a 2" pleco and said we should get one for the 29 gallon. I brought her to a tank that had one full grown and said "it will get THAT big". Sure enough she realized it wasn't a good idea. They really should do this in every store. Even just telling someone that a fish will grow to a certain size does not really give them the vision of how big it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom