Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a great a idea, and it works. My wife saw a 2" pleco and said we should get one for the 29 gallon. I brought her to a tank that had one full grown and said "it will get THAT big". Sure enough she realized it wasn't a good idea. They really should do this in every store. Even just telling someone that a fish will grow to a certain size does not really give them the vision of how big it really is.

And not to mention how many people think just because it will fit in the tank it will be fine.

And not to mention how many people think just because it will fit in the tank it will be fine.

It's truly sad how many people don't understand how stunting the fishes growth will lead to their untimely death. It's so hard to educate people who have had "an inch per gallon" or "they'll only grow to fit the tank they live in" pounded into their heads.

that's like telling someone who is 6 ft tall their new living quarters is a container the size of A twin bed until the day they die.

that's like telling someone who is 6 ft tall their new living quarters is a container the size of A twin bed until the day they die.

That's a great way to explain it. I'll have to remember that.

If someone at work asks me "well the fish will only grow to the size of their tank, right?" I always say "If you put a st.bernard puppy in a little crate, will he stop growing?"

If someone at work asks me "well the fish will only grow to the size of their tank, right?" I always say "If you put a st.bernard puppy in a little crate, will he stop growing?"

This is another good way to explain it! My best friends parents have a St. Bernard and that dog is massive! He's just a big ole baby!

That's a great way to explain it. I'll have to remember that.

I say this because I have cousin who is over 6 ft tall and when they come visit they stay in my grandmothers house and the bed he sleeps in while their here is a twin, and if he stretches out.. His feet hang over lol.

This is another good way to explain it! My best friends parents have a St. Bernard and that dog is massive! He's just a big ole baby!

I just about got mauled by a st. Bernard last week........... Not LOL, more like SLALGAR (Scream-Like-A-Little-Girl-And-Run) They're even bigger when they're on you heels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just about got mauled by a st. Bernard last week........... Not LOL, more like SLALGAR (Scream-Like-A-Little-Girl-And-Run) They're even bigger when they're on you heels.

Lol. Wow. That sucks that you had that experience! Every St Bernard I've been around has been a total love bug!

jmay33 said:
My lfs does this! Love it! They have plecos, giant danios, silver dollars, and cichlids all at least almost full grown. I think it's great for customers to see what that fish that they're putting in their 10 g will turn into.

I still love the idea that someone suggested earlier on this thread I think where next to the display tank they have a cutout of the full grown size of the fish.

I lovingly refer to him as Kujo

Hahaha! That's funny!

I still love the idea that someone suggested earlier on this thread I think where next to the display tank they have a cutout of the full grown size of the fish.

I definitely agree!! That eliminates people saying, "well, the fish store has them in a tank that small" when the they don't understand the filtration.

I didnt here anything funny today at my lps (petco) wasnt there for fish but did go in that section and glad to see healthy fish no dead ones and accurate sizes they had common plecos marked at a max size of 24" plus other larger fish some which were close to full size marked properly too

I love it when people bring in large plecos that they cannot house anymore. Instead of people looking at me like im lying I can just point to it and say "this is what that will become"

Wolfsblood said:
I love it when people bring in large plecos that they cannot house anymore. Instead of people looking at me like im lying I can just point to it and say "this is what that will become"

That would be awesome :sigh:

i was at a tropical pet store in milwaukee earlier today and i saw this guy looking at oscars, he turned around and asked hey do you know about these fish? I said i dont work here but yeah, what do you want to know he said can i put these in my community tank? I told him no and he said i want to see my fish get killed. i asked him why and he said when they all die he wanted to buy a snake. i just told him bring them to a fish store and they will take them and walked away. its really sad

i was at a tropical pet store in milwaukee earlier today and i saw this guy looking at oscars, he turned around and asked hey do you know about these fish? I said i dont work here but yeah, what do you want to know he said can i put these in my community tank? I told him no and he said i want to see my fish get killed. i asked him why and he said when they all die he wanted to buy a snake. i just told him bring them to a fish store and they will take them and walked away. its really sad

Wow that is terrible

It sure is! It's one thing when people just flat out don't know any better. I can't knock those people because they haven't been educated as far as the hobby goes. But when a person blatantly does something as shameful as this, it just pisses me off to no end!

dornblaser1 said:

Hey I'm in Milwaukee too. What store were you at?

That is just sad. It bothers me he actually said 'I want to see my fish get killed'... That's just not right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom