Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just for giggles cuz I'm bored at work, I want to hear the funniest thing you've ever over heard while shopping at the LFS.

My boyfriend and I went on a "date" to the LFS, its a huge wharehouse style one, they sell freshwater, saltwater, plants, corals, the whole nine yards. We were just slowly walking the aisles and looking at everything. A grown adult woman pulled over an employee, pointed at a clownfish and said, "Excuse me, but do you make these in freshwater?" I had to leave the aisle so she didn't hear me laughing.

I've heard a few things:

"It's crazy, my oscar and pleco are so big, those are the ONLY two fish I can have in my 5 gallon!"

"Oh, and watch out, if you pull those filters out of the water while they are still on the radiation will kill your fish."

"For a 5 gallon, a nice stock would be 1 zebra danio, 1 platy, 1 white skirt tetra, 1 tiger barb, and 1 bala shark."

"Are you putting koi in that 10 gallon of yours?"

"Tinfoil Barb - minimum tank size: 55 gallons"

"My live plants leached fishy poison in to my tank water!"

posted this once before but it still makes me giggle:

Young Son: Dad can we go look at fishies??

Dad: Sure. The oscar needs more food anyway.

Just for giggles cuz I'm bored at work, I want to hear the funniest thing you've ever over heard while shopping at the LFS.

My boyfriend and I went on a "date" to the LFS, its a huge wharehouse style one, they sell freshwater, saltwater, plants, corals, the whole nine yards. We were just slowly walking the aisles and looking at everything. A grown adult woman pulled over an employee, pointed at a clownfish and said, "Excuse me, but do you make these in freshwater?" I had to leave the aisle so she didn't hear me laughing.

What store was this??? I'm from the Cleveland area, and head up to visit family a couple times a year...... Gotta find it!!

Not exactly a fish store but frigging [store].

A man was asking about starting an aquarium and had their 2.5 gallon kit picked out. The employees recommend stock was 2 oscars and 2 platies. On top of this when the man asked for advice on water changes the employee told him to "just fill it with tap water"

Awful fish keeping and advice [store] does...

Last edited by a moderator:
Phranque said:
What store was this??? I'm from the Cleveland area, and head up to visit family a couple times a year...... Gotta find it!!

Rms aquaculture in middleburg heights. It's very no nonsense the way it's set up but the shear size and health of stock is impressive. they have a lot more variety then anywhere else. Their Maine section is not anywhere near what you get in a marine only store, if you're strictly a salty you won't be impressed, but their fresh and brackish selection is pretty amazing. Unfortunately their Web site leaves much to be desired but if you sign up for their emails they have amazing sales (when we went last time it's because the large pump bottle of stress coat was on special for less then five bucks).

Best thing I've heard-

"Ya, you should really cycle a ten gallon with tiger barbs and danios, before adding the discus"

And then the guy asked if the tank needed a filter. The employee said that he didn't while he was cycling, but once he got the discus, he would need one. *Facepalm*

Years ago, a young gal at a LFS (now closed) was walkin' 'round with one of those old-fashioned 2 gallon drum bowls. She asks the clerk/owner what she could put in it. The owner says, "What kind of fish do you want?"

So far, so good.

The gal says, " I really want some of those red-bellied pirahnas."

Without missin' a beat, the owner says, "You could put two in there."

WYite

Funniest thing I've heard is probably what I heard yesterday-
Lady- Do you have any of those squishy things with shells(snails)?
Employee- Yes. What size tank do you have?
Lady- oh like one of those little ones
Employee- you can have two then
Lol

I remember having a discussion with someone when I worked in and LFS where she had a hard time believing a big fish would eat a little fish from the same part of the world. I guess she figured they ordered tank out or would swim across the ocean for lunch.

It was also always difficult to explain to customers why and how we would crowd fish in the stock tanks but they shouldn't do the same at home. (You guys have like 50 fish in that 10 gallon tank, I just want 20 in mine. . .)

We commonly had customers ask for "piscotomus" (plecostomus), "allergy eaters" (algae eaters), and "chiklets" (cichlids). The worst one that speaks volumes for the misinformation out there was "s*#t eaters." I think that was supposed to be another term for a plecostomus. Believe it or not, I heard ALL of those multiple times in a week.

I also had plenty of customers ask me "What does this fish do?" I was never sure what kind of answer they expected. At the end of the day, they all swim, eat, and poop. "This one delivers the mail" maybe?

Oh man, I have so many of these!!! I work in a pet store, so I sure hear a lot of funny things...

We had a super gorgeous dumbo ear betta, $53 price tag. One lady came in, and admired that betta. I informed her of he price, and she said "do you have any of those $5 ones that look just like the expensive one?" with a total straight face. I really wanted to say "oh yes, we actually keep the cheap fancy ones in the back in case someone asks!" what the heck would be the point in having a $53 one that looks identical to the $5 ones????

One guy bought a goldfish, and later asked "oh, by the way is it trained?" completely serious. My question is, what would he expect a fish to be trained to do?!

Horsegirlmaddy said:
Oh man, I have so many of these!!! I work in a pet store, so I sure hear a lot of funny things...

We had a super gorgeous dumbo ear betta, $53 price tag. One lady came in, and admired that betta. I informed her of he price, and she said "do you have any of those $5 ones that look just like the expensive one?" with a total straight face. I really wanted to say "oh yes, we actually keep the cheap fancy ones in the back in case someone asks!" what the heck would be the point in having a $53 one that looks identical to the $5 ones????

One guy bought a goldfish, and later asked "oh, by the way is it trained?" completely serious. My question is, what would he expect a fish to be trained to do?!

Insert 'here is your sign' slogan here.

Heard a lady asking an employee at the LFS why her bettas keep dying. Me being curious and always trying to add my two cents, continued listening. Come to find out she has been feeding them her table scraps!?!?!? I was completely befuddled by this. Good thing about this store is that everybody there is extremely knowledgable and don't care about hurting someone's feelings if they are needlessly killing fish and plants because of incompetence and unwillingness to do a little reading before just blindly buying an aquarium and fish.

[store]

"Oh yeah u can put as many fish as u want in a 30 gallon"

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard a lady asking an employee at the LFS why her bettas keep dying. Me being curious and always trying to add my two cents, continued listening. Come to find out she has been feeding them her table scraps!?!?!? I was completely befuddled by this. Good thing about this store is that everybody there is extremely knowledgable and don't care about hurting someone's feelings if they are needlessly killing fish and plants because of incompetence and unwillingness to do a little reading before just blindly buying an aquarium and fish.

That reminded me of one.... Year ago, before the Aquarium Adventure in this area closed I was in there and a woman went up to one of the sales people (I got the impression she was a notorious regular) and pulled a baggie of dead neons out of her purse and said, "These fish died, give me more."

Sales guy replied, "Why? So they can die too?"

Thats probly why they went out of business here, too many ignorant buyers and they actually cared about the fish enough not to just sell to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom