7) Brit Angler Lands Record Fish
- A biologist who studies fish is called an ichthyologist.
- The most poisonous fish in the world is the Stone fish.
- The more sardines that are placed in a can, the greater the profit as sardine oil costs more than the sardines.
- Minnows have teeth in their stomach; the better to digest their food.
- The sturgeon is considered the largest of all freshwater fish and have weighed in at 2,250 pounds.
- All the sturgeon [the fish from which we get caviar] caught in British waters are property of Elizabeth II, Queen of England.
- Atlantic salmon are able to leap as high as 15 feet.
- The largest known fish in the sea is the whale shark. It weighs up to 20 tons and can grow to a length of 40 feet.
- Fish can get seasick when kept aboard a rolling ship just as much as people.
- The red fire-fish can fly and emits sounds like a crow.
Ian Welch, an angler from Aldershot, Hampshire, England, has landed a record stingray while fresh water fishing. Ian, a biologist was working on the Mae Klong river, in western Thailand.
Will and Guy have learned that this rare giant stingray, weighing 55 stone, took some 90 minutes to land and 13 men to heave it out of the water. Ian commented, 'It dragged me across the boat and would have pulled me in, had my colleague not grabbed my trousers.'
The giant freshwater ray is listed as a vulnerable species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. This particular one was 7ft long and wide, with a tail of 10ft; it had its venomous barb wrapped in cloth on the bank.
The ray was placed in a children's paddling pool to allow the marine biologists to take its DNA, tag it and return it to the water. Mr Welch delighted us with his next statement that, 'I was exhausted afterwards. I did very little for the rest of the day - and just had a cold beer.' Lovely!
- We have heard that when Dutchman Cor Stoop leaned over the side of his fishing boat, his false teeth fell into the North Sea. He never thought that he’d see them again. Apparently three months later another fisherman found the dentures inside the stomach of a cod.
- A businessman who lost his mobile phone on a beach was amazed when it turned up - in the belly of a giant cod.[fisherman Glen Kerley said he’d found the phone in a 25lb fish.]
- The blue-stoned class ring of Joe Richardson, engraved with his name, turned up inside an 8-pound bass 21 years after he lost it while fishing on Lake Sam Rayburn, USA. The finder has remained anonymous.
- A gold ring turned up inside the belly of a fish caught by an angler off Fort Victoria, near Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, UK.
- Biologists at the University of Manchester, England, want help in cracking their "miracle" discovery of three fish inside a sealed egg. The group found the duck egg in a small pond on a field trip to the French Alps and noticed something moving inside it. When they cracked open the shell, three live minnows were inside. They have enlisted the help of other experts, but despite their extensive combined knowledge, the biologists admit they are "baffled".
- A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work. - Author Unknown.
- An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home. - Author Unknown
- The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. - Babylonian Proverb
- The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. - A.K. Best
- All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid’s knee or editor’s ulcers. - Beatrice Cook
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
- Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. - Paul Schullery
- The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so that I could afford to hunt and fish. - Sam Snead
- Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon when you ain't got no smoked salmon. - Patrick F. McManus
- If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago. - Zane Grey
Copied from: Will and Guy's funny fishy story. Clean funny fish tales