Funny/Irritating/Illogical LPS Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickcmanning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got back from a local pet store. I was in there the other day for the first time ever and found that they had German Gold Rams which I had never seen before. I went back today with the intentions of buying one to add to my stock in my 10 gallon. When I walked in, the kid working in the store asked if I needed help, so I said yes and asked how much they were. He said he was not sure if they were even for sale yet because they are a little high maintenance and he would have to call his boss if we wanted to know the price. I told him I already had two Ram Cichlids but at this point I knew this was going to be an interesting trip. He called his boss and I waited for the answer. After he hung up the phone, he came over to me and said, and I quote "We don't really have a set price for them, and I would need to test your water before we sold you one anyway so you can come back tomorrow with some of your water and talk it over with my boss for a price." I'm not even sure what to write after this. I was a bit speechless after hearing that. :facepalm: :banghead:

Why would that affect the PRICE????? I would *sort of* understand if he said that he needed a water test before selling you one to make sure your water is good and all, but that should not affect the price. That absolutely makes no sense. I would ask why that matters next time you go............just make sure to do a pwc the day before you bring in the sample:brows:

It doesn't seem that weird, really.

Maybe they are new, so the owner is still keeping an eye on them/QTing them. I have bred this strain of ram, and these can be touchy fish that die randomly or over the smallest thing.

That may be why there wasn't a price on them yet. There are multiple factors that go into setting prices on stock, so just shooting one out at you may not be as simple as it sounds.

Some pet stores have a policy where they want to test your tank water for some of the more sensitive fish. Gold rams are one of these fish, so that's not that unusual. There's a reason why they do it, they want the fish to go into a compatible setting that it can thrive in. Honestly, I don't really agree with the water testing policy, but I do wish more stores cared this much about their stock.

And I don't suggest cheating the water test, that seems kinda shady, it's done with the best intentions for the fish in mind, not the fishkeeper.

Also I don't believe rams belong in a 10g to begin with, unless its strictly a breeding setup.

Yes I can kind of understand the water test as well. The thing that astounded me most was the fact that they just throw out a price at the time of buying them. How do you not have a "set price" for something you have in stock at your store.

And I am only keeping it in a 10g until it grows, he'll be moved to a larger 20g once he is bigger. I have bigger fish in the 20g that I don't want him to be bothered by while he is small.

jetajockey said:
And I don't suggest cheating the water test, that seems kinda shady, it's done with the best intentions for the fish in mind, not the fishkeeper.

+1, I agree with this. However, if these are sensitive fish, changing your water somewhat shows you know what your doing. Inexperienced aquarists are more likely think that testing weeks old water will be better. At least I did when I was a noob..

"We don't really have a set price for them, and I would need to test your water before we sold you one anyway so you can come back tomorrow with some of your water and talk it over with my boss for a price."

I would not be frequenting this lfs. Ever.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

Back
Top Bottom