Garden Snail Terrarium :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I didnt find alot of help online when I wanted to set this thing up so I think I'll include what I learned :)

ForumRunner_20130703_004755.jpg

Equipment used:
15gal aquarium
Top soil or Yard dirt
Cuttlefish bone
Rocks
Weeds
Spray bottle
Wire lid and a towel
Worms(optional)

So first I rinsed down my terrarium with water and a cloth. Then I placed the topsoil in it. Make sure its completly organic with no additives. A ph of 7 should be good, if your bag doesnt have a PHjust be sure to check the ingridiants for any additives.
You can also use dirt from your yard. You can put it in the freezer for 24hours to kill any bugs that might catch a ride. Here add your worms if you have any. They help break down snail waste and help your terrarium planta grow. Then place your rocks and weeds.
I put plucked dandolion leafs and some random weeds from my yard for them to eat. The wire lid is to keep the snails in but the towel is to keep in the moisture. Cuttlefish bone is commonly sold in the pet isle for birds but works as a great source of calcium for your snails. Just break it up into bits and place them around your terrarium. Now add snails :) now keep your snails moist and remove any rotting or uneaten food :)

My snails names and Duncan, Columbus, and Pinta btw :) I havent named my newest find yet :) I found these all out gardening btw. Lil suckers love to eat my peas :p
Also lots of people say because their shells are calcium you can paint them with finger nail polish, I didnt like that idea but I did want to be able to tell them apart so I put a tiny dot of color on there shells to tell them apart.
If you do paint your snails shell be sure to stay away from the lip of the shell because you could hurt your snail if you paint there.

Looks good :) have to say iv never seen someone keep garden snails I remember when I was a kid I'd keep them in an ice creme container :) you should try get some caterpillars or something too :)

I was thinking that too :) I just didnt want them eating my veggis and I had the spare aquarium so I figured why not lol. I already have two fish tanks set up and running in my bedroom. Why not a snail terrarium lol.

I like to try do everything different to everyone else :) iv got a planted tank and a nano reef in my room so relaxing :) is there any snails that you can get that aren't common?

I think I might look what kinda of snails live in my state. I live by a rainforest so theres got to be something right?

I don't think so. People make them really spectacular, like some of the mega planted tanks, but you can have a simple terrarium with a couple bowls of water they can get into as long as you change the water out everyday so it's clean.

Hmmm maybe I'll look into that when I'm done using this tank for my garden pests lol. I even saved a baby snail with a cracked shell today. I swear I'm such a sucker for wildlife....I save worms off the sidewalk when people arent looking lol."

Me too. Teaches us alot about the the ecosystem around us works :) Love that :) Thats why when I'm done with my veggis the snails will go back home lol.

Back
Top Bottom