Georgia Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
They are doing great things. Lots to see. I did notice some of their fish seemed stressed this morning.

Pics when we get home

Lol I will!!!

I will get a few on my phone. They have over 70 species of tangs!
Also one of the largest reefs.
Headed over to the freshwater section in a bit.

Doesn't georgia have the largest tank in the country? And isn't the church tank in Georgia too! :)

GA is pretty phenomenal - especially their open ocean tank. We went several times while we lived in the area, and every time it was great. Always a little crowded for my tastes though :)

fort384 said:
GA is pretty phenomenal - especially their open ocean tank. We went several times while we lived in the area, and every time it was great. Always a little crowded for my tastes though :)

Id love to see it : /.. only open water aquariums I've seen were Monterey bays aquarium (amazing!) And san franciscos which was So-so lol

I thought Japan had the largest in the world either way I wish I were you right now haha

I don't think it is the largest in the world but they have the largest display window in the world. It is something like 30' X 100'. Very impressive. You go through a plexiglass tunnel under the water to get to it too which is neat.

Their reef display is also breathtaking.

Just double checked it is still the largest in the world. Sorry about the poor quality..... Better pics when I get home.

IMG1722.jpg

IMG1717.jpg

IMG1730.jpg

Attachments

• IMG1708.jpg
    IMG1708.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 93
That aquarium is amazing. Well worth the drive and the crowd. The whale shark exhibit was stunning and just sheer amazing on the size of the manta rays and whale sharks.

Take multiple photos and build.a panarama photo at home.. that would look awesome :)

Quick summary about our trip....

We left charleston, sc at 6 am and arrived in atlanta shortly after 11 am. The lines in were long but moved quickly.... A quick bag search and metal detection and you are good to go.

They've got an impressive display of large silver fish against a black back drop. You walk through a short hallway into the aquarium atrium. They've got five theatres designed to a theme. Each one has a monitor telling of feeding times or events.

In Coldwater Quest are beluga whales, penguins, and more. I really wondered about the chillers they ran here.... There was a small touching area for anemones and starfish. The water was ice cold!

River Scout: a selection of freshwater fish including discus, african chiclids, and eels. The tanks here were decent but needed some revamping and cleaning.

Georgia Explorer: petting "zoo" and playground. Impressive lionfish display.

Ocean Voyager: WHALE SHARKS AND MANTA RAYS! Pretty amazing. This is the area with the underwater tunnel and massive display. Divers go through occasionally. Also has giant groupers.

Tropical Diver: reefers!! Seahorses, jelly fish, and a massive reef. It included a massive assortment of tangs!

The aquarium hosts traveling exhibits, a dolphin show, and a 3d show. The food is overpriced but you are able to leave for a few hours and go get food. The staff and volunteers are all pretty knowledgeable and friendly.

It was a great trip! Pics tomorrow!

Oh!! And they've got tours! You can see the tanks from above, the filtration systems, and the mangrove forest.

bigbanker said:
Oh!! And they've got tours! You can see the tanks from above, the filtration systems, and the mangrove forest.

We need to set up AA field trips every quarter haha

Pics are finally up! Let me know if you have questions....

Also one thing I thought about was how much space some of these animals need. Really makes you think twice about keeping certain livestock in less than ideal tank size!

Pictures by BankingPony - Photobucket

ps does anyone know how to get the photobucket pictures to pop up here?

Back
Top Bottom