Geriatric pet store mice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mice are starting to succumb to old age. :( These mice were purchased at a pet store, and are not of the fancy variety. That means they were bred to be reptile food - not for longevity.

A few weeks ago, I found my oldest mouse, Cardamom dead. She was at least 20 months old - a normal lifespan for a mouse.
In the last three weeks, I had to put down three of Cardamom's offspring - all of which are now 19 months old.
The two boys, Tamerind and Tarragon, were suffering from some kind of genetic age-related wasting disease. About four months ago, they lost most of their fur and started losing body weight. I took extra steps to keep them warm, and started feeding them high-calorie treats all the time. They didn't look pretty, but they were still inquisitive, and were eating, drinking, grooming, and freely moving about. When they stopped doing any of these things, I immediately put them down humanely.

One of the girls, Fennel, developed a mammary tumor that paralyzed her hind legs. I put her down when she was no longer able to climb up to eat and drink.
Her sister, Rosemary is ridddled with the same tumors, but they are growing slowly, and haven't impaired her movement yet.
The other six sisters still seem to be generally healthy.

My previous group of mice lived to 24 - 30 months tumor free. However, those mice were an inbred lab strain that certainly had better genes that my current group. My next group will either come from a fancy mouse breeder or from the lab - no more snake food mice for me. It's bad enough to find them dead of old age, but it really sucks to watch them slowly waste away, and then have to put them down. :(

That is so sad. I am sure though they lived a much better mousey life with you than they would have had they been purchased as food.

I'm so sorry!! I hope your other mice are healthier
Luciola is doing great by the way, I reckon he will be getting more presents then me tonight :)

Sorry, thats very sad, Hope you have a good christmas though

this reminds of my ferrets,

If you didnt know almost all ferrets come from the same fram (i cant rember the name) and almost everyone has had problems with them. Like one of mine got lukima and died. My aunt has had cancer in almost all of ferrets. She own about 5.
Its really heart breaking evertime one my ferrets get ill so i try to stay a way from them now.

And im sorry to here about lossees too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom