Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516

To be somewhat defensive on this, there are exceptions. I agree that plain old arguing, especially if its off topic of the thread, is plain rude. There are situations though, where a debate is had in a thread on the subject of the thread. What most of us do not want is for misinformation to be given.
I agree. I just hate when I'm trying to catch up on a thread and a whole page is about something that has nothing to do with anything but someone proving a point to another. If it's an opinion between products or filters and it's for the sake of the fishes and the other living creatures in the tank I'm all for it. But if it's random arguing about let's say real plants vs fake plants in a thread about a sick fish I should be talked about elsewhere.

I do love when I see people discussing equipment and how they work and what is better than the other, when it pertains to the OP because I do learn from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I am doing something wrong I would rather someone tell me in a way that screams"that's the wrong way to do that" than nicely suggest something. The sooner I find out I need to change something the sooner it can be fixed.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
If I am doing something wrong I would rather someone tell me in a way that screams"that's the wrong way to do that" than nicely suggest something. The sooner I find out I need to change something the sooner it can be fixed.
You must be the minority then.

I won't scream it out, like "what the heck are you thinking???", but I will definitely call out any issues I see that will ultimately effect the fish in a negative manner. I don't really sugar coat, but I do prefer to say it in a way that sounds helpful rather than rude.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah I just don't see the point of you guys walking on egg shells. This site has helped me and my tank countless times. If the answer to my question is ugly then so be it. I am not condoning rude just to the point.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think as long as there's something moderately constructive then it's okay. I used to find myself sugar-coating when posting, and it never seemed to get through. I don't consider myself rude (maybe others do ) just to-the-point. Typically my experience on here is if you sugarcoat, they think their mistakes are okay.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
yeah I just don't see the point of you guys walking on egg shells. This site has helped me and my tank countless times. If the answer to my question is ugly then so be it. I am not condoning rude just to the point.
Yeah, but that's not us... we're a family friendly site, with TONS of people who are still in their teens. I won't be rude to someone on purpose, even when the urge is right there. I get tested sometimes, but we like the family atmosphere that we try to keep here.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just get upset when we try and save their fish from bad water or whatever it maybe and they just don't take the advice. Why ask then is my question?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I admit that I can be guilty of occasionally posting something on the rude side, but I have a short fuse when it comes to a few things... grammar and punctuation being one of them. It could be worse, I try to show restraint for the most part. I can tell you that there have been more than a few times when I have a big long rant all typed up but I hit the back button instead of "POST". Agree with mfd though, I often think about the fact that there are younger folks around, and try to keep it at least extremely PG, if not always 100% civil.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
I admit that I can be guilty of occasionally posting something on the rude side, but I have a short fuse when it comes to a few things... grammar and punctuation being one of them. It could be worse, I try to show restraint for the most part. I can tell you that there have been more than a few times when I have a big long rant all typed up but I hit the back button instead of "POST". Agree with mfd though, I often think about the fact that there are younger folks around, and try to keep it at least extremely PG, if not always 100% civil.
Oh man when I can't even read what a person has written I go berserk. I may talk funny and with an accent but I don't type like I do. When I do post something I make sure to read it over and if something doesn't make sense or I mess up some words I edit it out before hand, or maybe after I see it in the post.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ironically I've just had an experience on another thread that relates to this one. I tried my hardest to be polite, but no matter what I tried I couldn't seem to get the OP to understand. It can get frustrating. Sometimes you do feel like lashing out. In fact, some other responders did lash out. In the future, if they don't like my advice I'll just stop posting to that question. I may try and clarify a point I've made that may have been misunderstood, but how they take my advice is not my responsibility. Even if you try to be nice you won't always succeed. In the end, just be truthful to what you believe and you'll be OK.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com