Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get over it!

Ok, so basically I'm venting. I read this forum constantly because I have nothing else really to do at work, but something has been irking me for the past few months...

When you (anyone who posts) ask for help or suggestions from other members, please...

DO NOT GET OFFENDED OR PISSY JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS STATING THEIR 2, WHICH IS WHAT YOU ASKED FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Seriously, when you state you unknowingly did something, and someone corrects you or tells you what you did wrong, don't get mad. If that's how you're going to react, go to the library and read a book.

99% of posters are trying to help, and thankfully, with enough of them being avid aquarists with years and years of experience, they help others out, then the others continue the help.

I forget who's signature this is in, but someone has this quote:

"If you don't help Newbies, they will grow"

So please, either toughen your skin and take the advice you don't like, or don't post things saying, "you're mean, and my feelings were hurt".

Thank You!

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
True story. Can't say I haven't seen this one. They get all moody when they find out they got had from their LFS. What a tang can't go in a 10g tank?!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why are you so mean, my feelings are hurt. lol
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 !
And maxst2, I think I just read that thread! "Well the guy at the lfs told me a tang was good for my tank." A tang in a nano; jeez! I'm sure the person at the LFS will sell you as many things as you want; you can kill it and come back for more.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think this thread may be a bit over the top, some people need to be told differently to others. Some people have more sensitive feelings. So take it easy on them.

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
DO NOT GET OFFENDED OR PISSY JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS STATING THEIR 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
I think this thread may be a bit over the top, some people need to be told differently to others. Some people have more sensitive feelings. So take it easy on them.

...c'mon

Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

See, I'm fine with telling it how it is, but some people do have issues distinguishing between to-the-point and just rude. But I'm not gonna say you're wrong about people being too defensive sometimes.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There are two points here. 1) Everyone is allowed to post their two cents worth as mentioned above. When you post a post with a question then everyone can post whether we like the answer or not. You just post your 2 cents worth and move on and let the OP decide which he deems good or not. We cant flame anyone for their opinion as we dont know their experiences and knowledge. 2)We do have to be kind and not rude on everything we do here at AA. My thinking is do other posters as you want to be treated.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenatronQT3.14159 View Post
See, I'm fine with telling it how it is, but some people do have issues distinguishing between to-the-point and just rude. But I'm not gonna say you're wrong about people being too defensive sometimes.
So true. That's why I'm saying it here in a separate post. If I were to post this on a thread, it's guaranteed I'd hurt someone's feelings and probably demoralize a few people, especially the OP. I'm not singling anyone out at all, it's just a general statement aimed towards people who expect everyone to walk on needles when sending a response.

Basically, I feel that if you want good advice, you're going to have to take the criticism. A knowledgeable veteran of this hobby should not have to spend time rethinking what they're going to say just to make sure no one's feelings get hurt (and in nooo way am I saying that I am 1 :p).

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree that everyone should be able to post their two cents. It's just that when helpful suggestions are offered, they shouldn't be countered with "That's not what the guy at the LFS told me" . If that is the attitude of person asking for advice, shouldn't they just skip this forum and go to the guy at the LFS?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com