Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Getting sick from tank water?

Do you guys think it's possible to get like dysentery or something from swallowing a bit of tank water? Going to the doctors tomorrow because I've had the runs for about a week now. The problem started up a day after I swallowed a bit of tank water on accident. But only a tiny tiny amount. I'm really hoping it's parasites or bacteria or something I'm so scared it's IBD or worse.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe
Do you guys think it's possible to get like dysentery or something from swallowing a bit of tank water? Going to the doctors tomorrow because I've had the runs for about a week now. The problem started up a day after I swallowed a bit of tank water on accident. But only a tiny tiny amount. I'm really hoping it's parasites or bacteria or something I'm so scared it's IBD or worse.
Ive swallowed my tank water plenty of times! Hahaha but I never had problems. I guess it's down to whats in Ur water. I hope u are ok

Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe there might be a risk of salmonella or an infection, anything other than the runs? Because I've swallowed tank water plenty of other times too and nothing happened.it's unlikely you contracted anything though unless you are immunocompromisrd
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No cramps no mucus no blood. I was feeling a bit tired and feverish before but I'm okay now. BP is a tad high too. We'll see what happens when I get to the doctor. I wonder if the nurses at diagnostics still remember when I got that urine test and stool sample for my e. coli infection lol. No, I'm not immunocompromised either. I'm just hoping to god it's not IBD or pancreatic or gall bladder disease. Please, give me parasites.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
No cramps no mucus no blood. I was feeling a bit tired and feverish before but I'm okay now. BP is a tad high too. We'll see what happens when I get to the doctor. I wonder if the nurses at diagnostics still remember when I got that urine test and stool sample for my e. coli infection lol. No, I'm not immunocompromised either. I'm just hoping to god it's not IBD or pancreatic or gall bladder disease. Please, give me parasites.
I think your raised bp might just be you stressing out over this, but I wish you well, keep us posted! Have you ever drank tank water in the past? And also any meds in the tank?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Oh I've definitely gotten the little sneaker splash! Don't think I've ever gotten sick from it though...but they do post signs at petco to be carefully because aquarium animals can transmit things...not to make you worry more! Just remember to try and relax and drink plenty of fluids (but this time, try it from a legit source like a sink or brita filter)...just kidding! Let us know what turns up! Well be thinkin bout you
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sounds like parasites...i can't help but to think of that show Dual Survival on Discovery channel...those two dudes always talk about drinking dirty water in the wild and the symptoms of parasite infection (diarrhea, fever, cold sweats...)

hope it's nothing serious...good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the hospital has gotten me in for a blood, stool and urine test and now what we can do is hope for the best. I did see worm like things in my poo so I hope that's it (never in my life do I think I'll wish for worms lol)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well the hospital has gotten me in for a blood, stool and urine test and now what we can do is hope for the best. I did see worm like things in my poo so I hope that's it (never in my life do I think I'll wish for worms lol)
Pinworms in your system will def cuz the runs.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't really think that you would catch some sort of disease from the water in your fishtank unless the tank is already showing signs of the infection in the fish.

Whatever you have more likely came from a recent meal that was not properly treated than from accidentally swallowing some tank water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, sick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com