Getting sick from tank water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you guys think it's possible to get like dysentery or something from swallowing a bit of tank water? Going to the doctors tomorrow because I've had the runs for about a week now. The problem started up a day after I swallowed a bit of tank water on accident. But only a tiny tiny amount. I'm really hoping it's parasites or bacteria or something I'm so scared it's IBD or worse.

Crepe said:
Do you guys think it's possible to get like dysentery or something from swallowing a bit of tank water? Going to the doctors tomorrow because I've had the runs for about a week now. The problem started up a day after I swallowed a bit of tank water on accident. But only a tiny tiny amount. I'm really hoping it's parasites or bacteria or something I'm so scared it's IBD or worse.

Ive swallowed my tank water plenty of times! Hahaha but I never had problems. I guess it's down to whats in Ur water. I hope u are ok :)

I believe there might be a risk of salmonella or an infection, anything other than the runs? Because I've swallowed tank water plenty of other times too and nothing happened.it's unlikely you contracted anything though unless you are immunocompromisrd

No cramps no mucus no blood. I was feeling a bit tired and feverish before but I'm okay now. BP is a tad high too. We'll see what happens when I get to the doctor. I wonder if the nurses at diagnostics still remember when I got that urine test and stool sample for my e. coli infection lol. No, I'm not immunocompromised either. I'm just hoping to god it's not IBD or pancreatic or gall bladder disease. Please, give me parasites.

Crepe said:
No cramps no mucus no blood. I was feeling a bit tired and feverish before but I'm okay now. BP is a tad high too. We'll see what happens when I get to the doctor. I wonder if the nurses at diagnostics still remember when I got that urine test and stool sample for my e. coli infection lol. No, I'm not immunocompromised either. I'm just hoping to god it's not IBD or pancreatic or gall bladder disease. Please, give me parasites.

I think your raised bp might just be you stressing out over this, but I wish you well, keep us posted! Have you ever drank tank water in the past? And also any meds in the tank?

Oh I've definitely gotten the little sneaker splash! Don't think I've ever gotten sick from it though...but they do post signs at petco to be carefully because aquarium animals can transmit things...not to make you worry more! Just remember to try and relax and drink plenty of fluids (but this time, try it from a legit source like a sink or brita filter)...just kidding! Let us know what turns up! Well be thinkin bout you

sounds like parasites...i can't help but to think of that show Dual Survival on Discovery channel...those two dudes always talk about drinking dirty water in the wild and the symptoms of parasite infection (diarrhea, fever, cold sweats...)

hope it's nothing serious...good luck!

Well the hospital has gotten me in for a blood, stool and urine test and now what we can do is hope for the best. I did see worm like things in my poo so I hope that's it (never in my life do I think I'll wish for worms lol)

Crepe said:
Well the hospital has gotten me in for a blood, stool and urine test and now what we can do is hope for the best. I did see worm like things in my poo so I hope that's it (never in my life do I think I'll wish for worms lol)

Pinworms in your system will def cuz the runs.

I can't really think that you would catch some sort of disease from the water in your fishtank unless the tank is already showing signs of the infection in the fish.

Whatever you have more likely came from a recent meal that was not properly treated than from accidentally swallowing some tank water.

Word. I didn't mean to infer that you'd get pin worms from your tank. They can very easily be transmitted other ways. I personally have never drank my tank water but I expect a little bit isn't going to have that big of an effect on you.

Let's hope it's nothing big. I worry mainly because I get plants in from all over the country and sometimes out of country. You never know what could have hitch hiked in from plant farms, the wild and other people's tank.

Well, I hope you get feeling better. That's a pretty crappy situation to be in. I feel for ya, hope they figure out what it is and get you back to good health.

I just can't see you getting anything like that from your tank. I suppose it's possible. Let us know what the doctors say.

Bad news. Blood test and stool and urine all clear. Off to the gastroenterologist.

Ooo...I've had to do Barium drinks...I hope you don't have to! Tastes terrible...I hope your ok

Yep. Wish me luck. Not to sound morbid or gross but at least my poo isn't as diarreah-y as before so I'm guessing it was just from stress from the end of the school year or something (it's loose not watery). No idea. Also no blood in my stool means it's probably not ulcerative colitis. Or it's UC in its early stages. Only one way to find out though.

Crepe said:
Yep. Wish me luck. Not to sound morbid or gross but at least my poo isn't as diarreah-y as before so I'm guessing it was just from stress from the end of the school year or something (it's loose not watery). No idea. Also no blood in my stool means it's probably not ulcerative colitis. Or it's UC in its early stages. Only one way to find out though.

Haha! Nothin better than no diarrhea :) the end of school can beat a person up on the inside pretty bad :)

Good news and bad news! The good news is that I probably don't have IBD. The bad news is that I probably of celiac disease! Going to get a biopsy next week. Lovely lovely.

Crepe said:
Good news and bad news! The good news is that I probably don't have IBD. The bad news is that I probably of celiac disease! Going to get a biopsy next week. Lovely lovely.

Celiacs isn't that bad, my GF has it and it's completely manageable. The Co-Op and all it's gluten free goodies will become your best friend.

Back
Top Bottom