Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't read all the replies, but I was tested for the same program as a child. I didn't get in for the same reasons. And after looking at that list, I am certain it is because I had a real shyness problem. I think advanced learning where I really felt excited would have helped me be less withdrawn, but oh well :P

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Talk about beating a dead horse....but since this got "bumped" I'll give you all an update.

My son's teacher insisted that my son be tested again! I told her I thought it was pointless but she really believed that maybe he had an "off" day the first time he was tested. So they tested him again. And apparently he is still not gifted....well duh he just had the test not too long ago 8O

The woman who did the testing said he does great at math and is one of the best readers she has ever seen for a child his age. But there is a cognitive part of the test where they show pictures and ask questions. Most of these questions are "trick" questions so to speak so you really have to study the pictures and think about the question. She said my son answers really fast and doesn't put any thought or time into studying the pics. She believes if he slowed down he would do better. She also said that kids often need time for their cognitive abilities to mature. So they will test him again next year if I give permission. At that point I think I will just leave the decision up to him. If he wants to be tested he will be if not to hell with them
He leaves his class for reading and math and goes to the second and fourth grade classes. They discussed skipping a grade and we decided against it because after alot of research we worried he might have "gaps" in his learning and plus at this point he is confident and happy so I would prefer to keep him with his age group.

However he has started to have some problems with kids giving him a hard time. And he found an odd interesting way to deal with it. One boy was calling him a nerd and taunting him with "you think you are soooo smart." Well he handled it by saying "No I don't. There is actually a smart nerd class at this school and I didn't make it in. To the teacher's dismay that incident got the whole class talking about the "nerd class" and she found herself trying to explain that situation to a group of laughing 6 year olds. After that he had no more trouble with kids giving him a hard time.

Each time they tested my son they explained that they were just trying to make sure he was in the "right" class for him so I guess he figured out on his own that there was a "nerd class" as he calls it. Funny that he uses the fact that he didn't make the cut as proof that he isn't a nerd. So who knows if he will never ever want to be in the TAG program at all.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have you thought about homeschooling at all? With homeschooling, you can cater to your child's specific gifts and he can learn at his accelerated pace. He probably won't be able to do the after school programs you mentioned, but you could take him to the science museums and libraries during the day when you don't have to swim through the masses of other children and frazzled parents. Plus, no worrying about the bad things kids always learn in school.

Where my in-laws live in TN has a really high homeschool percentage. My 9 yr old sister-in-law doesn't have time to go to public school because her social calendar is just too busy! She takes harp lessons, tap, ballet, jazz, and Highland dance, riding lessons, has weekly homeschool "meetings" where the mom's talk and the kids play, and is constantly talking to other homeschoolers on the phone or sleeping over at their houses. My sister-in-law has a bigger rolidex than her parents, and her mother has to keep a detailed calendar to keep track of where they're supposed to be each day.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oooh and as another funny side note......The TAG program starts in first grade. So the kindergarten teachers nominate children to be tested for the program. Well my daughter's kindergarten teacher has already said she will be nominating my daughter. I just had to laugh. I explained to her all about what was currently going on with my son and how the "testing lady" (yep there is just one lady who does all the testing) will probably love to see my daughters name on her list. At this point the testing lady and I don't exactly get along well....I may just have them not test my daughter. What if she passed the screwball test after my son didn't? They are little but they understand everything that goes on without missing a beat. Anyway I don't have to decide about that till the middle of the year. Good Grief what a bunch of nonsense. I sure miss the old fashion tracking....Class A Class B Class C. What was wrong with that?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_a_wickstrom
Have you thought about homeschooling at all?
Well maybe I am a bad mother but dropping my kids off at school is the highlight of my day My kids would go crazy or drive me crazy if they stayed home instead of going to school. Plus I believe a large part of "school" is socialization. Plus I have no background as a teacher. They learn enough from me as it is....I want them to learn from others as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

They didn't test me until 6th grade (I got all A's throughout elementary school), but tested me again in 7th grade saying the first one was "not the real thing". In my opinion, IQ does not mean a child is smart, just that they have a greater learning ability, or learn quicker.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

And the test came easy too me. I was good at assembling pictures in order and scored a perfect score on "block assembly". However, my verbal score was much lower than my mathematical score because when they asked me to give the definitions of some words, I couldn't put them into words eventhough I knew what they meant.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com