Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gifted vs not gifted what a load of crap!

So, I did some research and found out there is a "tag" program at my son's school and since my son already knows everything they are going to teach in first grade I decided to have him tested.

The first part of the testing he passed with flying colors. They said he reads at a sixth grade level and he is at a fourth grade level for math. For the second part of the test he met with a psychiatrist. Ultimately it is the psychiatrist who decides if the child is gifted enough for the gifted program. Apparently space is very limited in this program.

Anyway the psychiatrist informed me that my son does extremely well with puzzles, math, and reading but he is not gifted. She went on to explain that there is a difference between a child who is an "over achiever" vs a child who is "gifted." In her opinion my son is an accelerated learner but not a gifted child. She went on to explain how at his age, 6, there our children in the gifted program who may not read as well or know as much math as my son but they are identified as gifted and they need the "tag" program because their giftedness requires a special needs education.

She feels that my son is smart due to the environment he is in at home and due to the fact that he went to private school for preschool. Anotherwards he knows what he knows because he went to a Montessori school where they taught him what he knows. Whereas other children haven't had the same experience and opportunity.

What a load of crap! I explained to her that I think that identifying any children as gifted vs not gifted is a load of horse manure in my book. I told her I don't really care if my son is "gifted" or not because I think the term is meaningless and all children have gifts. I also explained that I don't need a label for my child. What I need for my child is a class that won't bore him to tears. She explained that once he gets to junior high he will be able to take advanced classes without the gifted label. Well, great....but that's seven years from now 8O She also said she would agree to skipping him a grade..... 8O I can't believe they would rather skip him a grade then have him mix with the "gifted" children.

What a bunch of BS!

Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and she also gave me a pamphlet explaining the differences between a gifted child and a bright child. I found a copy of the pamphlet on line.

http://pages.framingham.k12.ma.us/sage/brightchild.htm

I'm sorry but the list is a load of crap and the only difference between the two columns is perception and semantics.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plus if my child can read at a higher level as well as do math at a higher level then some of the kids in "tag" then how does that even make sense in regards to the stupid list?? Sorry I'm just really frustrated and this lady pissed me off.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
That is crazy! Make sure you know your rights as a parent.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is crazy and the worst part is....it's political as well. There is only one elementary school that has tag classes for our city and it is at my son's school. However they bus in kids from all the other elementary neighborhoods that qualify. That is what makes the space so limited. But they also have to make sure they have racial equality in the tag program. I agree with both those things and don't have a problem with them but it seems to me they need a bigger program! I talked to one parent who had a similar problem with the school psychiatrist and so she went and paid another psychiatrist outside the school to evaluate her child. That psychiatrist claimed her child was gifted and so she took the school to court and got her child admitted in to the program. But I'm not sure I want to fight to get my child into a program that doesn't want him, you know?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Affirmative action applies to gifted school programs as well as companies? Now that's simply retarded. Give the spot/job to the most qualified candidate; period, end.
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
My experience with the gifted classes is not that the regular classes were any different, just that they added some more specialized classes almost like extra curricular stuff would be. Trips to museums, concerts, ballet etc, with a more broad scope as far as experiences in general. These are things that you can provide yourself. Quite often it is difficult for a child that has been in a montessori environment to enter the public school system for the facts that you have mentioned. They are more advanced for their age group. Private school, unfortunately, is the best answer imo. The public elementary school systems, as a general rule, are designed to teach the middle of the road child.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Affirmative action applies to gifted school programs as well as companies? Now that's simply retarded. Give the spot/job to the most qualified candidate; period, end.

Please be careful. That boarders on pretty unfriendly.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
. Private school, unfortunately, is the best answer imo. .
We would have kept our child in private school but the class size starts to really get small by third grade with only a handful of kids. Our son is really social and he would hate being in a class with 5-6 kids. So we figured we better get him use to public school early and give him a chance to bond with other kids early rather than waiting till third grade to move him. We also wanted our child to be exposed to more children, and more importantly children from different walks of life. Plus it cost alot of money and we have two kids. I'm sure he will be fine and we will continue to stimulate him at home it just sorta burns me up.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
It is very political by the sounds of it. Only you can decide if it is worth fighting to have your son in a class that did not want him in the first place. Also take into consideration whether an accelerated or gifted class will benefit him in the long run as far as peers go. When they get to be teens, they just want to be like everyone else. JMO.

-----------
Site Administrator
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com