Give a list of the Science(s) of aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was sitting around last night while looking at the tank and It dawned on me
all the different sciences that are involved in maintaining an aquarium. Yes ... Yes... these are the things science teachers think of:brows:

So go ahead and share with us the sciences you think are involved with aquariums. I'd like to see what feedback you have and I'll share it with my students.(y)

Ecology. (the type of science were on in science :D) I actually enjoyed science class when we discussed symbiotic relationships. Mutualism, Commensalism, Parasitism. Commensalism- when one organism is benefited while the other is not affected. (clownfish and anemones) Pretty interesting.

Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Microbiology, Botany, Invertebrate Zoology, Chemistry, Taxonomy, Animal Nutrition, Ichthyology, Physics, Aquariology, Limnology, Marine Biology, Geology, and more.

Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Microbiology, Botany, Invertebrate Zoology, Chemistry, Taxonomy, Animal Nutrition, Ichthyology, Physics, Aquariology, Limnology, Marine Biology, Geology, and more.

Awesome ... and thanks for the responses thus far. I'll share this with my students on Monday.

In reality, maintaining an aquarium consists of a multitude of sciences.

Chemistry both Organic and Inorganic
pH, water chemistry, solubility, oxidation / reduction, nitrogen cycle, diffusion, ions

Physics both Mechanical and Energy
Aquarium lighting, Heat transfers / Heat exchange, water pressure, flow rates

Biology - Fish, inverts, microbiology, algae, plants, marine bio.

Geology - Sand, Gravels, Rocks, water (hydrology, Oceanography)minerals,
evaporation, airpressure

Just to name a few.:D

Don't forget art, which mixes with the sciences.

Genetics can also come into play, along with climatology, genetics and medical arts. They all mix together.

Aqualogy?

Ecology. (the type of science were on in science :D) I actually enjoyed science class when we discussed symbiotic relationships. Mutualism, Commensalism, Parasitism. Commensalism- when one organism is benefited while the other is not affected. (clownfish and anemones) Pretty interesting.

Depends actually, the clown gets shelter and usually in the wild brings the anemone food here and there

Actually neither can be found without the other making it obligate mutualism in the wild. They protect each other from different threats and both benefit. Since it is not a physiological mutualism they can be housed without each other in captivity.

Economics is a science. or have I just mastered the art of always finding money in my budget to buy fish and supplies?

Back
Top Bottom