glass tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i havent thought of this, but glass is liquid. that just moves really really slow... so have you guys seen any tanks that are like drooping or something?

You are full of questions today Krap. :D I have yet to look at the tank and see it moving around on its own. Isn't glass hardened so it is stationary?

I've never seen that in fish tanks but have in very old windows. I would guess the glass is different for fishtanks. ?? Interesting.

Glass flows very very slow. You wont see the effects of this flow for several decades. Not many people have tanks 50+ years old. Thats about how long it would take before you would be able to visually see the effects.

fishfreek said:
Glass flows very very slow. You wont see the effects of this flow for several decades. Not many people have tanks 50+ years old. Thats about how long it would take before you would be able to visually see the effects.

i was going to say that...lol

and I'm not sure tempered glass will still flow.

Glass is in fact a semi-fluid solid...but whether it actually flows or not is a huge debate. I work with stained glass, and that debate comes up a lot. See, old stained glass was all hand made and rolled, so the glass wasn't a perfect uniform thickness liek the machine made stuff is today...same goes for old-time clear glass for normal windows.

Then workers would install the thick side in the bottom, so as to not make the window top heavy, causing a possible stress fracture in the future.

I haven't ever seen really old windows, stained or normal panes, to see if it really does flow down with gravity over several decades.

I think someone needs to call Myth Busters ;)

I have seen very old windows on houses where the window has a very wavy apperance. I cant fathom that people back then just lived with windows like that as being clear as I have seen old glass bottles that dont have the same wavy apperance so I know glass could have been made with out the wavyness.

Yeah, I've seen windows that actually look like they were running in very old houses. And, I believe I've seen on tv that the glass does that over time but, couldn't find anything to validate that. Although, admittedly, I didn't search to hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom