Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifflexie View Post

They aren't 'dyed'... They are physically no different than a regular tetra.

They use a gene (DNA Allele) then implant that into an embryo so the jellyfish gene they used will be expressed in the glofish and hence the fish would have the same color of a jellyfish.... Now since they've had these new DNA modified fish the fish have been able to be bred and the jellyfish color gene can be inherited by the offspring.

This technology was originally used in research to detect pollutants in waterways. When the fish would come into contact with a pollutant the gene would be triggered to express and the fish would glow... Then the research could detect unknown sources of pollution....

This technology has also been used for cancer research- when a cell is cancerous the allele for glowing is expressed and then they can tract the cancer....

The gene expression in no way causes harm to the fish..... It's like the difference in people who have brown vs blue eyes.... It all depends on which genes are present and expressed...

I'm majoring in animal science- pre veterinary medicine. And I find this technology wonderful, not only for animals but humans as well. It can be very practice for research and helping find cures....

I have a mini glofish tank and love it.... Although I also appreciate my natural tank. Also albinos look amazing with the glofish... I have an albino cat and ghost shrimp.
My bad... Still I personally think they shouldn't be sold or bred. I would never really want a fish which looks as "fake" as that I just prefer more natural fish, though we all have different views and tastes

Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like glofish. They are artificially colored but the method used is not as harmful as dying them. The colors are also attractive in my opinion

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think they are pretty in their own way, but I definitely prefer danios and tetras in their more natural colors. I'm not even too big of a fan of albinos. I think Glofish are a nice option for people who enjoy and want to keep them. There is no fish cruelty involved.

Dyed and tattooed fish are another matter. I'm totally against that.

I'm concerned about genetic modification of fish that can escape back into and change nature, though. Have any" wild" escaped Glofish been found that have survived and bred? Is the modified gene dominant?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 5 green and 3 pink/red skirt tetras.

I like the green ones, not too fond of the other colors but my girlfriend loves them.

Everyone that comes over to my house LOVES the glofish (mind you these are not aquarium hobbyists) The glofish provide that WOW factor for someone who isnt really into the hobby and doesnt have the appreciation of the natural beauty of fish.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Honestly, I like the danios, but not so much the skirt tetras... What I don't like is that they are altering more and more species. Convict Cichlids, Angel Fish, etc etc.

Especially how convicts breed SOOO easily. Too easily, almost. People will end up with 1000 fry they can't get rid of. Not to mention they market these fish as great for small tanks..

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah it definitely attracts people i had a 10g glowtank and everyone loved it but i got sick if it and sold it to my sister and now all of her friends love it. they are a rip off though it was 70 bucks just for the starter kit which didnt even come with a heater. i spent over 200 dollars on that stupid little 10 gallon and fish, deco, glow rocks. i wish i hadnt though
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My tank is not a glo tank. I just added black lights. I have lots of natural fish in there also and I love them too! I have 3 green, 3 orange, 3 pink glo Tetras and also 3 white ones. I also have neons, and Cory's. My danios have recently all died one by one within a week. It was strange. They were all natural Zebra Danios. What should I get to go in there now? I am afraid of the danios after they all died.....
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhenry911 View Post
My tank is not a glo tank. I just added black lights. I have lots of natural fish in there also and I love them too! I have 3 green, 3 orange, 3 pink glo Tetras and also 3 white ones. I also have neons, and Cory's. My danios have recently all died one by one within a week. It was strange. They were all natural Zebra Danios. What should I get to go in there now? I am afraid of the danios after they all died.....
I also have a dwarf Gourami. How could I forget him? He is soooo pretty!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifflexie View Post

They aren't 'dyed'... They are physically no different than a regular tetra.

They use a gene (DNA Allele) then implant that into an embryo so the jellyfish gene they used will be expressed in the glofish and hence the fish would have the same color of a jellyfish.... Now since they've had these new DNA modified fish the fish have been able to be bred and the jellyfish color gene can be inherited by the offspring.

This technology was originally used in research to detect pollutants in waterways. When the fish would come into contact with a pollutant the gene would be triggered to express and the fish would glow... Then the research could detect unknown sources of pollution....

This technology has also been used for cancer research- when a cell is cancerous the allele for glowing is expressed and then they can tract the cancer....

The gene expression in no way causes harm to the fish..... It's like the difference in people who have brown vs blue eyes.... It all depends on which genes are present and expressed...

I'm majoring in animal science- pre veterinary medicine. And I find this technology wonderful, not only for animals but humans as well. It can be very practice for research and helping find cures....

I have a mini glofish tank and love it.... Although I also appreciate my natural tank. Also albinos look amazing with the glofish... I have an albino cat and ghost shrimp.
Wow that's amazing!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
I think they are pretty in their own way, but I definitely prefer danios and tetras in their more natural colors. I'm not even too big of a fan of albinos. I think Glofish are a nice option for people who enjoy and want to keep them. There is no fish cruelty involved.

Dyed and tattooed fish are another matter. I'm totally against that.

I'm concerned about genetic modification of fish that can escape back into and change nature, though. Have any" wild" escaped Glofish been found that have survived and bred? Is the modified gene dominant?
I honestly don't know about what type of gene action occurs.... My guess is co- dominance... So it would be harder for the jellyfish gene to be expressed when bred with normal populations..... But like I said that's just my guess, I'll have to research it because now I'm interested.

Although I don't think changing nature is always good..... Man had affected almost all 'wild species' (those known).... What is now considered natural was introduced by man.... Especially in agriculture to take advantage of hybrid vigor and influencing attractive traits for things like more milk production, egg production, immune protection, carcass traits, body shape, etc.......... Like almost all things it has its pros and cons... Even with fish hobbyist, many fish we think are natural/normal breeds/colors wouldn't be around if it were not for man influencing them or manipulating them..... Most color morphs & size ranges (giant, dwarfs, etc) are created by selecting an individual in a species with a genetic mutation for a select trait (example dwarf size) and selectively breeding that individual with others that have the mutation until almost all the offspring are dominant for the intended mutation.... (Dogs, cats, reptiles, etc)

I do agree that manipulated animals shouldn't be released into a ecosystem that they do not belong to though..... Like the fact there are massive loads of green iguanas in Florida.....

Where I live conservation thought it was a good idea to transport Japanese jumping carp to a local waterway.... It completely messed with the ecosystem, and now they are freaking out trying to remove them.... It's even legal to shoot the fish to try to stop population numbers.... You have to use steel shot.....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com