GloFish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to beat thousands of years of natural selection....

Agreed! But I am not going to discriminate! I feel sorry for the GloFish because a lot of people give them a hard time. They are thriving well in my community tank. I am not going to alienate them because of something someone did a long time ago to their ancestors. They deserve to be loved and cared for also. They deserve someone like me that admires them.

My tank is not a glo tank. I just added black lights. I have lots of natural fish in there also and I love them too! I have 3 green, 3 orange, 3 pink glo Tetras and also 3 white ones. I also have neons, and Cory's. My danios have recently all died one by one within a week. It was strange. They were all natural Zebra Danios. What should I get to go in there now? I am afraid of the danios after they all died.....

is it a black light or blue led? black lights will burn your fishes retinas and eventually cause them to go blind

I'm not as against the fish themselves as I am the commercial nature of the whole thing. Raising the price of a $1 fish to $5, making those $30 2g glofish tanks, making it illegal to sell offspring, etc. etc. I think that while it may not be an issue now, they may be released into the wild more and more as people get fry and can't do anything with them. Convicts especially breed like rabbits, and zebra danios also breed very readily as well. Obviously nobody's going to have room for 100 convicts in their tank, and since you can't sell them, what do you do?

is it a black light or blue led? black lights will burn your fishes retinas and eventually cause them to go blind

I think that depends on the wavelength of the light. The short-wave ones (used for mineral hunting) definitely will, while the long-wave will not harm them as much.

Last edited:
Some people have started making and eating glofish sushi. I'm not a sushi fan to start with but this is disgusting

Agreed! But I am not going to discriminate! I feel sorry for the GloFish because a lot of people give them a hard time. They are thriving well in my community tank. I am not going to alienate them because of something someone did a long time ago to their ancestors. They deserve to be loved and cared for also. They deserve someone like me that admires them.

Yeah. But this is the same argument used for pet store/ puppy mill puppies. It's a flawed argument. By buying the fish you create a need for more. Continuing the process.

I have issue with genetically modified animals. I buy cows and pigs for consumption from people that raised them. I think we should respect nature and what IT created. Not try to make it prettier for prettier sake.

I got into the hobby for the beauty of the fish in its natural state. Granted, keeping fish in a tank is unnatural, so a bit of hypocrisy. But I think if we love fish, we should love what they naturally bring to the table. There are sooooo many colorful fish out there. Why use science??? Nature gave us what we want. Respect that.

I think that the process used to create glofish is about as ethical as breeding fancy guppies. In both cases, attractive traits are carried on to the fry and no harm is done.

If i feed glofish to my large tank for feeders, u think my fish will eventually Glo?

Why they really that expensive? They always just seem like cheap little fish to me. But yeah iv never looked at the price tag. And I'm doing 20 feeders a week and thinking bout upgrading.. Plus got a new fish coming tomorrow.

I personally will never buy them, or allow them anywhere near my tanks/house..they are fake and there's no two ways about it...its one thing to breed for colors/traits that are more desired, its all together different when you add genes from one creature/plant/what have you to something that would never have it...those that like these fish can also have all the GMO foods that are cropping up, same thing right?...thanks, but not for me or my family.

Oh, I also point this out any time I'm in a store and some kid starts to beg their parents for them and offer better ideas base on what they have at home already.

Yeah. But this is the same argument used for pet store/ puppy mill puppies. It's a flawed argument. By buying the fish you create a need for more. Continuing the process.

I have issue with genetically modified animals. I buy cows and pigs for consumption from people that raised them. I think we should respect nature and what IT created. Not try to make it prettier for prettier sake.

I got into the hobby for the beauty of the fish in its natural state. Granted, keeping fish in a tank is unnatural, so a bit of hypocrisy. But I think if we love fish, we should love what they naturally bring to the table. There are sooooo many colorful fish out there. Why use science??? Nature gave us what we want. Respect that.

The thing is that they were not created to be pretty. They were created to detect pollution in waterways. The science can also be used to detect cancer genes. I would say the comparison is more like the argument of stem cell research. It is actually a useful thing! These fish are just a bi-product. Just my opinion.........

Why they really that expensive? They always just seem like cheap little fish to me. But yeah iv never looked at the price tag. And I'm doing 20 feeders a week and thinking bout upgrading.. Plus got a new fish coming tomorrow.

Mine were $7.99 each! Pretty pricey!

I personally dislike Glofish. I like fish and their "natural" colors. I think their sort of ugly.

Back
Top Bottom