Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Some people have started making and eating glofish sushi. I'm not a sushi fan to start with but this is disgusting
I saw that and got disgusted.....oh my babies! Lol

Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhenry911 View Post

Agreed! But I am not going to discriminate! I feel sorry for the GloFish because a lot of people give them a hard time. They are thriving well in my community tank. I am not going to alienate them because of something someone did a long time ago to their ancestors. They deserve to be loved and cared for also. They deserve someone like me that admires them.
Yeah. But this is the same argument used for pet store/ puppy mill puppies. It's a flawed argument. By buying the fish you create a need for more. Continuing the process.

I have issue with genetically modified animals. I buy cows and pigs for consumption from people that raised them. I think we should respect nature and what IT created. Not try to make it prettier for prettier sake.

I got into the hobby for the beauty of the fish in its natural state. Granted, keeping fish in a tank is unnatural, so a bit of hypocrisy. But I think if we love fish, we should love what they naturally bring to the table. There are sooooo many colorful fish out there. Why use science??? Nature gave us what we want. Respect that.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that the process used to create glofish is about as ethical as breeding fancy guppies. In both cases, attractive traits are carried on to the fry and no harm is done.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

If i feed glofish to my large tank for feeders, u think my fish will eventually Glo?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

No but that would be a lot of money down the drain

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why they really that expensive? They always just seem like cheap little fish to me. But yeah iv never looked at the price tag. And I'm doing 20 feeders a week and thinking bout upgrading.. Plus got a new fish coming tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally will never buy them, or allow them anywhere near my tanks/house..they are fake and there's no two ways about it...its one thing to breed for colors/traits that are more desired, its all together different when you add genes from one creature/plant/what have you to something that would never have it...those that like these fish can also have all the GMO foods that are cropping up, same thing right?...thanks, but not for me or my family.

Oh, I also point this out any time I'm in a store and some kid starts to beg their parents for them and offer better ideas base on what they have at home already.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsdsar View Post

Yeah. But this is the same argument used for pet store/ puppy mill puppies. It's a flawed argument. By buying the fish you create a need for more. Continuing the process.

I have issue with genetically modified animals. I buy cows and pigs for consumption from people that raised them. I think we should respect nature and what IT created. Not try to make it prettier for prettier sake.

I got into the hobby for the beauty of the fish in its natural state. Granted, keeping fish in a tank is unnatural, so a bit of hypocrisy. But I think if we love fish, we should love what they naturally bring to the table. There are sooooo many colorful fish out there. Why use science??? Nature gave us what we want. Respect that.
The thing is that they were not created to be pretty. They were created to detect pollution in waterways. The science can also be used to detect cancer genes. I would say the comparison is more like the argument of stem cell research. It is actually a useful thing! These fish are just a bi-product. Just my opinion.........
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooked View Post
Why they really that expensive? They always just seem like cheap little fish to me. But yeah iv never looked at the price tag. And I'm doing 20 feeders a week and thinking bout upgrading.. Plus got a new fish coming tomorrow.
Mine were $7.99 each! Pretty pricey!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally dislike Glofish. I like fish and their "natural" colors. I think their sort of ugly.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com