Glofish facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
THe glofish was the fist genetically modified animal to be available as a household pet , it is a zebra fish which has had genetic information of bioluminesent jelly fish added to its DNA , it was produced to provide a warning system for pollution , but with its viability of its colors it was introduced to a U.S market in december 2003 in Austin Texas .

Now you know the background of the famous Glofish .

Similar research was conducted in China. Scientists inserted the gene of a jellyfish into the eggs of medaka rice fish to observe the development of the embryo.

i was under the impression that this was already well known, there's been several threads about it. the search feature is a helpful feature.

THe glofish was the fist genetically modified animal to be available as a household pet , it is a zebra fish which has had genetic information of bioluminesent jelly fish added to its DNA , it was produced to provide a warning system for pollution , but with its viability of its colors it was introduced to a U.S market in december 2003 in Austin Texas .

Now you know the background of the famous Glofish .

I'm also pretty sure it was an experiment gone wrong as well. I belevie the original intention was for the fish to glow when pollution was present, however, the switch is kind of stuck in the on position.

FWIW, there are now black tetras and tiger barbs which have the same genetic modifiers. I've only seen green (the original color) in the tiger barbs, but a couple of different colors in the tetras.

My daughter loves these things and keeps a school in a 20L in her room. I happen to be a comic book geek, and kind of thought it would be funny to do a tank with the X-Men Marvel Comics decorations they had out at Petco with these fish since they would all be mutants.:whistle:

This might sound like a crazy question but can glofish breed? And will the babies be colored!

Ewww... I hate fruity pebbles. Any fruity cereal really. They all taste filmy.

Not too fond of glofish either. As bud said, they are getting so commercial. It makes me sick to see 1.5 gallon tanks advertised for them. In fact, I don't think I've seen a single "glofish tank" that is actually suitable for them (20 long or larger). Just 1.5 and 5 gallon. I have talked a couple people out of them in Walmart lately. Or at least into getting a bigger tank and a blue lightbulb for it. And why keep making so many more kinds? Angelfish are gorgeous, why make them glow?

I know , I actually think that no fish should be in anything smaller than 2 gallons , except if its temporary

I I would never eat glofish sushi. I love glofish and honestly I don't like sushi.

The topic of this thread is "Glofish facts". If you want to talk about and post pictures of your lizards that's fine, just do it in the appropriate forum and stop hijacking this one.

Thanks!

Angelfish are gorgeous, why make them glow?
to make money, plain and simple. I can only imagine how much one would cost. the most i've ever seen is the regular glofish, and glo-tetras. I've seen green tiger barbs, but they didn't really glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom