Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
okapizebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
Oops, didn't see your post when I posted mine, Alyxx. Guess our minds were in the same place lol.
__________________

__________________
okapizebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra
Oops, didn't see your post when I posted mine, Alyxx. Guess our minds were in the same place lol.
Great minds think alike, eh?

But yeah, there's no way I would keep neon glowing fish in my tanks but for those that like the look I am happy there is a kinder alternative to the dyed fish I saw everywhere as a kid.
__________________

__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
okapizebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
Definitely

And yes, I agree.
__________________
okapizebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
t4runnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 274
I'm sure if the fish could talk, they would say "let me go!"

=p
t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
The fish don't know any different. They are that color when they are born. I don't see why people get so mad about this.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
MMantelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
The fish don't know any different. They are that color when they are born. I don't see why people get so mad about this.
My wife wants a glofish tank and I said no because I thought they were dyed or tattoed. So its there genes that are messed with to make them like that? Now she just might get the glofish tank she has been wanting.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Check out our fish clubs Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/CFLKeepersOfAquatica
MMantelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli

My wife wants a glofish tank and I said no because I thought they were dyed or tattoed. So its there genes that are messed with to make them like that? Now she just might get the glofish tank she has been wanting.
Scientists spliced a gene from jellyfish that makes them glow into the zebra danio egg, and now into all these other fish. It started off as an attempt to make a fish that would glow in bad water conditions to help scientists monitor conditions in streams but that didn't pan out so the company started selling them as pets. And since they are copyrighted, only that company can distribute them so they are turning a big profit on them. The fish breed true with the bright colors so it's not even like the fish you got had it's genes modified when it was an egg. All the modifications happened generations ago. So it is nice and cruelty free, just a little unnatural.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
MMantelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

Scientists spliced a gene from jellyfish that makes them glow into the zebra danio egg, and now into all these other fish. It started off as an attempt to make a fish that would glow in bad water conditions to help scientists monitor conditions in streams but that didn't pan out so the company started selling them as pets. And since they are copyrighted, only that company can distribute them so they are turning a big profit on them. The fish breed true with the bright colors so it's not even like the fish you got had it's genes modified when it was an egg. All the modifications happened generations ago. So it is nice and cruelty free, just a little unnatural.
Oh wow that's cool do they actually glow? Or does the blue light just act as a backlight?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Check out our fish clubs Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/CFLKeepersOfAquatica
MMantelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli

Oh wow that's cool do they actually glow? Or does the blue light just act as a backlight?
They glow under the blue light, which has a backlight effect.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
I wonder what their next project will be.
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
glofish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.