Glow- fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seashellz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to my local pet smart and saw a tank full of neon zebra danios and was surprised at how many different colors they were providing.

I don't support genetic modifications just to make fish look "cooler"

How do you feel about glow fish?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389415812.248971.jpg

While their original purpose had some merit, I'm not a fan. (I've also been told that they won't hold that colorizing after a few generations.) I'm more upset tho with tattooed fish than these however. Do I really need to see a tinfoil barb with a Tic Tac Toe board on it's side? That to me is just cruel ( but I'm an old time fish keeper who likes the fish of old more than the new stuff ;) )

Love em. Yeah their not pure, etc etc, but look at everything else out there from genetically modified crops to better feed us to continuing to understand genetic engineering to repair the human body. Their neat little fish even without a black light or LED's, and the sun Burst orange Tetras add a nice pop of color with a natural/dark sub straight.

The glow fish are dyed with those colors and they only have a 50% survival rate it is a horrible process.

They aren't dyed. Earlier generations had some jellyfish genes injected into un-hatched eggs. They were born that way and spawn multiple generations.

http://www.glofish.com/about/faq/

I'd like to get some for my daughter but I don't have an appropriate sized tank for them.

Not a fan of GM fish. Do it in a lab scientificly for biological gain but being able to copyright a living creature for financial gain isnt cool. They've done it with black skirt tetra aswell and youre not allowed to breed and sell any type of 'glofish'. How theyve managed to copyright something living is beyond me and proves to me the US government will let you do anything you likes long as you pay.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Glow fish aren't dyed! Please do not confuse the difference! Dyeing and tattooing is cruel but glow fish has nothing to do with it. The change was made way before they were born, on genetics level, no harm was made.

I owe 5 of those astonishing and happy glowing friends! They are just as hardy as a regular white skirt tetra. Super active, smart and colorful! They are beautiful living creatures and in need to be loved and cared of (and not avoid of) as any other fish or an animal. I highly recommend these guys to everyone! If you like tetras or danios and want to bring extra color to your aquarium - glow fish are out there to be adopted by you! Go get them! :)

I understand, no worries. :) there are fish that dyed and I am against that. Glofish are not one of them tho. I know it is personal and people have different opinions but I love my guys, have no complains with them. They are very joyful!

Ive read plenty of stories of them actually dying early without cause. Either way, buying these man made fish is supporting the genetically modified fish industry which isnt something im in agreement with.

Which in some way is actually more frightening than dying.

They dont look natural, rather like something i once found in the bottom of a cerial box when i was younger .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I disagree with these species. I also saw frogs at my lfs the other day. We shouldn't have to make our fish when we have so many amazing fish to choose from already.

Attachments

• image-2901563900.jpg
    image-2901563900.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 113
If they're happy and healthy like other fish and the only difference is there looks why would anyone have anything against them?

If they're happy and healthy like other fish and the only difference is there looks why would anyone have anything against them?

I'm gonna go ahead and get involved here, to answer your question because they're genetically modified fish. Yes, selective breeding is perfectly fine, we do it with dogs, cats and tons of other things, but making something In a lab and exploiting it for profit is truly sickening. Now glofish are not dyed, yes I know this but I'm still against their sale. We have hundreds of thousands if not millions of natural choices to pick from, we don't need to make fish In labs. However fish like blood parrots are higher on my priority list, they live much much much more horrible, painful and hard lives than glow fish.

Just my 2 cents I have the whole 10 gallon glo tank set up in my daughters room they out lived my tiger barbs so down sized to that tank for them and my algae eater while I take the 40 gallon they were in to set up for salt water to strip mother natures of her wild free fish to put in captivity

Just my 2 cents I have the whole 10 gallon glo tank set up in my daughters room they out lived my tiger barbs so down sized to that tank for them and my algae eater while I take the 40 gallon they were in to set up for salt water to strip mother natures of her wild free fish to put in captivity

I think you may have misinterpreted me, I don't support wild catching either. We have thousands if not Millions of tank bred species that are out there to go home to an appropriate tank! We don't need to create or catch fish. Probably should've been more clear with that.

Back
Top Bottom