Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well to use the old sand you'll have to clean it and by the time its ready for the other tank you've lost tons of BB...your rock should have plenty to handle the swap and as for fish id stock around 5 small fish (gobies/dartfish/cardinals/etc) but if you wanted to push the limits on your Bioload with good maintenance you could probably get away with 7 or 8 every tank is different though if you use a refugium then it'll up your available stocking room

Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes we plan on a fuge. Thank you, i think we will try and get maybe 7 fish, we do alot of waterchanges and we are going to get a nice protein skimmer, duel filtration, and with the sump i think it should be fine. Ya only small fish, biggest fish we are considering is a dwarf angel. Thank you for your help! It will be sa getting rid of the freshwater fish

Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Well to use the old sand you'll have to clean it and by the time its ready for the other tank you've lost tons of BB...your rock should have plenty to handle the swap and as for fish id stock around 5 small fish (gobies/dartfish/cardinals/etc) but if you wanted to push the limits on your Bioload with good maintenance you could probably get away with 7 or 8 every tank is different though if you use a refugium then it'll up your available stocking room
How about maybe several cups of un-washed sand to seed the new stuff?

Cool! We will have a refigium, a nice skimmer, and 2 filters
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you put the old sand under the new sand with atleast a 1/4" of new overtop I'd imagine you wouldn't get an ammo spike and should seed fairly quick
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your not worried about spending a few extra bucks is still go with a brand new sandbed...I also forgot to ask...is it a DSB cuz you can get some really potent gases realeasing if you disturb it
Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya we are thinking about just buying some cheap pool filter sand. Haha its not really deep, just about 2"

We are scared about the minicycle, should we run the filter on the tank for a while beore we put the fish and shrimp in the tank?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make the entire change all at once and as long as your rock is sufficient it shouldn't be an issue...just have some water ready Incase you need an emergency wc....I just recently swapped out my 20 gallon sump on my 46 with all new sand and never had any issues
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright sweet. The lfs already said that they would take all of our freshwater fish, and give us some store credit i think we will start the project in a week and a half. Should we set up the ac50 on the saltwater tabk now to see it with saltwater BB? We will need new carbon and stuff right? Haha

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com