Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Going away again

I just found out my grandfather died today. I feel stupid typing this, as if these words on the screen can actually convey my deep sense of loss. One of the greatest figures in my life was taken today. The man who accepted his daughter after she got pregnant at 16, and helped raise her child the best way he knew how. The man who made me what I am today. I'm glad I was able to get up to CT to see him one last time before he passed on. So I'll be taking another trip, this time for a less happy occasion. I don't know what else to type right now, so I'll stop.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Have a safe trip. I fully understand as I lost one of my grandfathers a few years ago after a fairly long battle with cancer. As with you he was a very important figure into whom I am today.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to liquidelusion
i too lost a grandfather after a long battle with cancer not to long ago. he raised me for much of my childhood along with my grandmother. i am very sorry for your loss
29 Gallon Freshwater
2 amazon swords
1 bunch of some sort of crypts
2 powder blue gouramis
1 calico angel juvi
4 zebra danios
4 harlequin rasporas
4 fancy guppies (2 male - blue and red, and 2 female)
1 common pleco
2 juvenile unsexed Eublepharis macularius in a 20 long
Old 08-17-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
Sorry for your loss, shawmutt. Take comfort in knowing you were able to visit with him before he passed. My Grandfather passed away a few years ago, and for reasons I can't even remember I didn't go visit him in the hospital. I'll be kicking myself for that for years. Have a safe trip....
-if you can be told what you can see, or read, it follows that you can be told what to say, or think-
Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
so sorry about that. i lost my grandfather who, for me, was the best person i have ever met and loved, so i understand exactly how you feel. that was over 10 years ago, and i still nearly cry when i think of him. always remember the good times you had with him, they are priceless. take care and be safe.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm so sorry for your loss, shawmutt. Have a safe trip, and I hope it's a comfort to you to be with your family members and share warm memories of your grandfather.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
I totally understand what you're going through. I lost my grandfather when I was 11 and I was there when he died. He battled lung cancer and lost the fight. I miss him immensly and will until the day I die. <hugs>
Old 08-18-2004, 01:38 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Shawmutt, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
I am glad you were able to see him before he passed away. There is nothing more important than family.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am sorry for your loss. I never really knew any of my grandparents my last grandfather died when I was 4 and my last grandmother passed away when I was eight. It is great that you got to know and respect him. But just rember he will always be a part of you in your memories..

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com