Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
I live in Florida so I don't know how much large mouth bass's tastes are different from here to there but I always have good luck with papa frog and spinner luers. Liive bait is always best like shiners. For our catfish I usually go for channel cats and butter cats and for bait its chicken livers that have been left in the sun for a few hours. Just gotta be careful gators love the smell of rotten meat but yall aint got that problem up there lol. I found if u put the liver in a piece of panty hose and run a weedless hook through it they can't steal it as bad.
Luckily no gators!!! I dont think I'd like fishing quite so much if I constantly had to worry about that! My brother also recommended chicken livers for catfishing...problem is I have no clue where to buy them? Is that sold just for bait or are they something I could buy in a regular grocery store?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

From ohio what part ? If its Cincy area we should go fishing
I live about 20 minutes west of Cleveland- so we probably aren't close enough

Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_little_tetra View Post
I love fishing. I live in southwest Ohio and I mainly fish in the Little Miami river for smallmouth bass and red eyes. I also fish in some local ponds for largemouth, crappie, and channel catfish. The channel cats are the biggest, usually. Biggest fish I ever caught though was a blue catfish that was randomly in the river! lol I have also caught carp, blue gill, sheepshead, sucker minnows (ick), sure I'm leaving something out.... Use an ultralight spinning rod and the catch is more fun. I usually use live minnows for bait. You can also pick up raw chicken livers or raw smelt from the grocery store to fish for catfish.

IME, fish seem to bite most in the morning, evening, and most especially right before it starts raining. Most bass and panfish are more likely to go for lively bait. The best luck is when I wade the river and find "fishy" looking areas to cast into (ie near a fallen tree in the water, near a brushy pile...places that are deepish and have hiding spots for them to lurk in).

For artificial spinners...crappie like the color green. Don't ask...they just do.

I realllly want to go someplace and catch a pike of some kind. I want to catch something big and toothy, lol.
I normally just go sunday mornings early. I think my early, 7 am, might not be early enough? We bought some spinners and they came in a few colors(silver green black) is there some way to know which one will work the best? I can only hope to catch a monster too lol I am so jealous of Jeremy wade(river monsters) & his trips to the end of the earth and back for mammoth fish. He caught a tiger gar one episode. That thing has gator teeth,it was unreal!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
i live in minnesota and yesterday i caught 22 crappies and my girlfriend caught 15! they were nice size but we didnt have a bucket. and a couple days ago i caught this nasty beast out of a creek by my house
Nice fishing trip I'd say! I went to a local reservoir last sunday ,fished for 3 hrs, & only caught 1 tiny smallmouth
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhendrix007 View Post
Try a popper during the early hours of dawn/early dusk when the sun is just rising/setting. Also beetlespins and the small spinners have always landed me the bigguns here in NC. Tight lines dude!

http://store.fishcreekspinners.com/c...llMix3_360.jpg

Strike King Beetle Spin

Top Water Lures for Bass / Hula Popper -- Orvis
Thanks! Ill add a few of these to my tacklebox for this weekend.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas

Luckily no gators!!! I dont think I'd like fishing quite so much if I constantly had to worry about that! My brother also recommended chicken livers for catfishing...problem is I have no clue where to buy them? Is that sold just for bait or are they something I could buy in a regular grocery store?
You should be able to get chicken livers in your grocery store. They are usually sold in little plastic tubs in the meat area with the chicken. If you can't find them in a regular grocery store try a butcher shop if you are lucky enough to still have one in your area. Sad that a real butcher shop is getting to be a thing of the past.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post

Yes win Dixie wal mart public all carry it in there meat section. It's in a little tub
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, because they also taste fabulous fried, lol. GL with your fishing trip!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_little_tetra View Post
Yes, because they also taste fabulous fried, lol. GL with your fishing trip!
Yes yes they do !
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli

Yes yes they do !
Blech... I love the way they smell while cooking but I cant get past the taste. I've tried a few times since I am anemic and they have lots of iron, but I can't do it. I get them for my cats as treats, though.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com