going fishing anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Off topic question-- But still fish related! Just wondering if anyone likes to go fishing? I live in ohio so its all freshwater lakes,reservoirs,and some rivers. Anyone have any tips for me? (What bait to use etc) there are large and small mouth bass bluegill catfish (im sure a load of others) everwhere I go. I know there's google but im hoping to get some great tips that might help me catch a monster. ;)

Sadly I don't have any tips for you but I do love fishing! It's just been years since I've done any. Where I grew up, we had two stocked ponds on our property so I was fishing ever since I was old enough to hold one of those kiddy reels. We even hosted a charity fishing competition one year to raise money for a sick family member. Best pic I have of my dad and I came from that. I was like 3 years old sitting in his lap with my pink fishing rod!

Lost all my gear in hurricane Katrina a few years back and haven't replaced any because I don't have anywhere to fish at the moment, but I'm trying to change that!

I live in Florida so I don't know how much large mouth bass's tastes are different from here to there but I always have good luck with papa frog and spinner luers. Liive bait is always best like shiners. For our catfish I usually go for channel cats and butter cats and for bait its chicken livers that have been left in the sun for a few hours. Just gotta be careful gators love the smell of rotten meat but yall aint got that problem up there lol. I found if u put the liver in a piece of panty hose and run a weedless hook through it they can't steal it as bad.

Off topic question-- But still fish related! Just wondering if anyone likes to go fishing? I live in ohio so its all freshwater lakes,reservoirs,and some rivers. Anyone have any tips for me? (What bait to use etc) there are large and small mouth bass bluegill catfish (im sure a load of others) everwhere I go. I know there's google but im hoping to get some great tips that might help me catch a monster. ;)

From ohio what part ? If its Cincy area we should go fishing

I love fishing. I live in southwest Ohio and I mainly fish in the Little Miami river for smallmouth bass and red eyes. I also fish in some local ponds for largemouth, crappie, and channel catfish. The channel cats are the biggest, usually. Biggest fish I ever caught though was a blue catfish that was randomly in the river! lol I have also caught carp, blue gill, sheepshead, sucker minnows (ick), sure I'm leaving something out.... Use an ultralight spinning rod and the catch is more fun. I usually use live minnows for bait. You can also pick up raw chicken livers or raw smelt from the grocery store to fish for catfish.

IME, fish seem to bite most in the morning, evening, and most especially right before it starts raining. Most bass and panfish are more likely to go for lively bait. The best luck is when I wade the river and find "fishy" looking areas to cast into (ie near a fallen tree in the water, near a brushy pile...places that are deepish and have hiding spots for them to lurk in).

For artificial spinners...crappie like the color green. Don't ask...they just do. :D

I realllly want to go someplace and catch a pike of some kind. I want to catch something big and toothy, lol.

i live in minnesota and yesterday i caught 22 crappies and my girlfriend caught 15! they were nice size but we didnt have a bucket. and a couple days ago i caught this nasty beast out of a creek by my house

Attachments

• image-3265284376.jpg
    image-3265284376.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 76
I live in ohio too!
I caught my biggest catfish last year at charles mill dam, (North Central, OH, Mansfield Area) right under the dam with just a worm. Ended up being a 30lb catfish, not sure what exact kind, flathead maybe? Anyways, it was some great eating!

Sadly I don't have any tips for you but I do love fishing! It's just been years since I've done any. Where I grew up, we had two stocked ponds on our property so I was fishing ever since I was old enough to hold one of those kiddy reels. We even hosted a charity fishing competition one year to raise money for a sick family member. Best pic I have of my dad and I came from that. I was like 3 years old sitting in his lap with my pink fishing rod!

Lost all my gear in hurricane Katrina a few years back and haven't replaced any because I don't have anywhere to fish at the moment, but I'm trying to change that![/QUOTE

I grew up in a fishing family too! I remember my dad & grandpa lining up rows of walleye for my mom to take pics of before they got them ready to eat--i didnt do much fishing with them though because they were on a boat. Funny you mentioned the pink fishing rod. This weekend my husband and I are buying kiddie rods for my 3yo daughter and 4 yr old son and taking them fishing for the first time:) I cant wait!! I hope you get some gear soon ,and find a good spot. Im still looking for one too!

I live in Florida so I don't know how much large mouth bass's tastes are different from here to there but I always have good luck with papa frog and spinner luers. Liive bait is always best like shiners. For our catfish I usually go for channel cats and butter cats and for bait its chicken livers that have been left in the sun for a few hours. Just gotta be careful gators love the smell of rotten meat but yall aint got that problem up there lol. I found if u put the liver in a piece of panty hose and run a weedless hook through it they can't steal it as bad.

Luckily no gators!!! I dont think I'd like fishing quite so much if I constantly had to worry about that! My brother also recommended chicken livers for catfishing...problem is I have no clue where to buy them? Is that sold just for bait or are they something I could buy in a regular grocery store?

I love fishing. I live in southwest Ohio and I mainly fish in the Little Miami river for smallmouth bass and red eyes. I also fish in some local ponds for largemouth, crappie, and channel catfish. The channel cats are the biggest, usually. Biggest fish I ever caught though was a blue catfish that was randomly in the river! lol I have also caught carp, blue gill, sheepshead, sucker minnows (ick), sure I'm leaving something out.... Use an ultralight spinning rod and the catch is more fun. I usually use live minnows for bait. You can also pick up raw chicken livers or raw smelt from the grocery store to fish for catfish.

IME, fish seem to bite most in the morning, evening, and most especially right before it starts raining. Most bass and panfish are more likely to go for lively bait. The best luck is when I wade the river and find "fishy" looking areas to cast into (ie near a fallen tree in the water, near a brushy pile...places that are deepish and have hiding spots for them to lurk in).

For artificial spinners...crappie like the color green. Don't ask...they just do. :D

I realllly want to go someplace and catch a pike of some kind. I want to catch something big and toothy, lol.

I normally just go sunday mornings early. I think my early, 7 am, might not be early enough? We bought some spinners and they came in a few colors(silver green black) is there some way to know which one will work the best? I can only hope to catch a monster too lol I am so jealous of Jeremy wade(river monsters) & his trips to the end of the earth and back for mammoth fish. He caught a tiger gar one episode. That thing has gator teeth,it was unreal!

i live in minnesota and yesterday i caught 22 crappies and my girlfriend caught 15! they were nice size but we didnt have a bucket. and a couple days ago i caught this nasty beast out of a creek by my house

Nice fishing trip I'd say! I went to a local reservoir last sunday ,fished for 3 hrs, & only caught 1 tiny smallmouth :(

bthomas said:
Luckily no gators!!! I dont think I'd like fishing quite so much if I constantly had to worry about that! My brother also recommended chicken livers for catfishing...problem is I have no clue where to buy them? Is that sold just for bait or are they something I could buy in a regular grocery store?

You should be able to get chicken livers in your grocery store. They are usually sold in little plastic tubs in the meat area with the chicken. If you can't find them in a regular grocery store try a butcher shop if you are lucky enough to still have one in your area. Sad that a real butcher shop is getting to be a thing of the past.

Yes win Dixie wal mart public all carry it in there meat section. It's in a little tub

MMantelli said:
Yes yes they do !

Blech... I love the way they smell while cooking but I cant get past the taste. I've tried a few times since I am anemic and they have lots of iron, but I can't do it. I get them for my cats as treats, though.

Back
Top Bottom