Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

going fishing anyone?

Off topic question-- But still fish related! Just wondering if anyone likes to go fishing? I live in ohio so its all freshwater lakes,reservoirs,and some rivers. Anyone have any tips for me? (What bait to use etc) there are large and small mouth bass bluegill catfish (im sure a load of others) everwhere I go. I know there's google but im hoping to get some great tips that might help me catch a monster.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Sadly I don't have any tips for you but I do love fishing! It's just been years since I've done any. Where I grew up, we had two stocked ponds on our property so I was fishing ever since I was old enough to hold one of those kiddy reels. We even hosted a charity fishing competition one year to raise money for a sick family member. Best pic I have of my dad and I came from that. I was like 3 years old sitting in his lap with my pink fishing rod!

Lost all my gear in hurricane Katrina a few years back and haven't replaced any because I don't have anywhere to fish at the moment, but I'm trying to change that!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in Florida so I don't know how much large mouth bass's tastes are different from here to there but I always have good luck with papa frog and spinner luers. Liive bait is always best like shiners. For our catfish I usually go for channel cats and butter cats and for bait its chicken livers that have been left in the sun for a few hours. Just gotta be careful gators love the smell of rotten meat but yall aint got that problem up there lol. I found if u put the liver in a piece of panty hose and run a weedless hook through it they can't steal it as bad.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Off topic question-- But still fish related! Just wondering if anyone likes to go fishing? I live in ohio so its all freshwater lakes,reservoirs,and some rivers. Anyone have any tips for me? (What bait to use etc) there are large and small mouth bass bluegill catfish (im sure a load of others) everwhere I go. I know there's google but im hoping to get some great tips that might help me catch a monster.
From ohio what part ? If its Cincy area we should go fishing
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love fishing. I live in southwest Ohio and I mainly fish in the Little Miami river for smallmouth bass and red eyes. I also fish in some local ponds for largemouth, crappie, and channel catfish. The channel cats are the biggest, usually. Biggest fish I ever caught though was a blue catfish that was randomly in the river! lol I have also caught carp, blue gill, sheepshead, sucker minnows (ick), sure I'm leaving something out.... Use an ultralight spinning rod and the catch is more fun. I usually use live minnows for bait. You can also pick up raw chicken livers or raw smelt from the grocery store to fish for catfish.

IME, fish seem to bite most in the morning, evening, and most especially right before it starts raining. Most bass and panfish are more likely to go for lively bait. The best luck is when I wade the river and find "fishy" looking areas to cast into (ie near a fallen tree in the water, near a brushy pile...places that are deepish and have hiding spots for them to lurk in).

For artificial spinners...crappie like the color green. Don't ask...they just do.

I realllly want to go someplace and catch a pike of some kind. I want to catch something big and toothy, lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i live in minnesota and yesterday i caught 22 crappies and my girlfriend caught 15! they were nice size but we didnt have a bucket. and a couple days ago i caught this nasty beast out of a creek by my house
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3265284376.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	178499  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in ohio too!
I caught my biggest catfish last year at charles mill dam, (North Central, OH, Mansfield Area) right under the dam with just a worm. Ended up being a 30lb catfish, not sure what exact kind, flathead maybe? Anyways, it was some great eating!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
i live in minnesota and yesterday i caught 22 crappies and my girlfriend caught 15! they were nice size but we didnt have a bucket. and a couple days ago i caught this nasty beast out of a creek by my house
How big was the creek that looks like a carp holy cow
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try a popper during the early hours of dawn/early dusk when the sun is just rising/setting. Also beetlespins and the small spinners have always landed me the bigguns here in NC. Tight lines dude!

http://store.fishcreekspinners.com/c...llMix3_360.jpg

Strike King Beetle Spin

Top Water Lures for Bass / Hula Popper -- Orvis
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

[QUOTE="Alyxx;2501770"]Sadly I don't have any tips for you but I do love fishing! It's just been years since I've done any. Where I grew up, we had two stocked ponds on our property so I was fishing ever since I was old enough to hold one of those kiddy reels. We even hosted a charity fishing competition one year to raise money for a sick family member. Best pic I have of my dad and I came from that. I was like 3 years old sitting in his lap with my pink fishing rod!

Lost all my gear in hurricane Katrina a few years back and haven't replaced any because I don't have anywhere to fish at the moment, but I'm trying to change that![/QUOTE

I grew up in a fishing family too! I remember my dad & grandpa lining up rows of walleye for my mom to take pics of before they got them ready to eat--i didnt do much fishing with them though because they were on a boat. Funny you mentioned the pink fishing rod. This weekend my husband and I are buying kiddie rods for my 3yo daughter and 4 yr old son and taking them fishing for the first time I cant wait!! I hope you get some gear soon ,and find a good spot. Im still looking for one too!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com