Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

goldfish bowls...

Why are tiny 1 gallon tanks called goldfish bowls???? No goldfish should live in a tank that small! Maybe i just don't understand because i'm "too young", but this just annoys me sooo much! Plus NONE of my friends believe me when i say goldfish can't live in that size tank, and that commons get 1' long. Could someone please explain why they are called "goldfish bowls"?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Why are bettas sold in cups? Common plecos sold to anybody and everybody on a whim? Why are fish painted?

Same things

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Why are bettas sold in cups? Common plecos sold to anybody and everybody on a whim? Why are fish painted?

Same things
Painted fish?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bettas in cups because males are aggressive towards one another, can't exactly have a tank full of them
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

Because a goldfish can live in a one gallon bowl... But not happy or healthy or very long... Unless you get a normal gold fish and have a big plant in the bowl, my grandma had a vase with a big plant in it and a gold fish and it swam in there and ate the plant particles and got oxygen from the plant, the fish out lived the plant and was moved to a 10 gallon tank, but personally I HATE bowls I just want to go in and smash them, no creature should have to be in a bowl with their own urine and poop, the only thing "gold fish" bowls are good for, is spare change!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think they should call them snail bowls
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAKEN
Because a goldfish can live in a one gallon bowl... But not happy or healthy or very long... Unless you get a normal gold fish and have a big plant in the bowl, my grandma had a vase with a big plant in it and a gold fish and it swam in there and ate the plant particles and got oxygen from the plant, the fish out lived the plant and was moved to a 10 gallon tank, but personally I HATE bowls I just want to go in and smash them, no creature should have to be in a bowl with their own urine and poop, the only thing "gold fish" bowls are good for, is spare change!
Correction! Goldfish bowls make great underwater air domes for fiddler crabs to have dry land! Haha. But yes spare change is a viable option
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2

Correction! Goldfish bowls make great underwater air domes for fiddler crabs to have dry land! Haha. But yes spare change is a viable option
Lol that's great!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka

Lol that's great!
Haha thanks and it tends to be easier than making a land/water tank. Will look good too if u do it right. Just gotta add an airstone in it to keep fresh air circulating!

Tags
bowl, fish bowl, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com