Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well if you were to get a job there, even of you didn't work there long maybe you could get out to a few people what it really takes to care for fish. And maybe you could even get through to some of the employees. That would save a few fish from certain death at least.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get fired because I threw away all the betta 'tanks' and goldfish 'bowls'. And I'd retype all their 'handy' little brochures, and have fish care classes for the workers

Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I work at a pet store, and I explain probably three times an hour that goldfish can't be kept in bowls. But it does it's job, because people that really want a fish in a bowl wind up with Bettas, and those that really want other fish buy a tank, filter and heater. I have yet to turn away a customer by giving them proper information. A guy really wanted piranhas, so I explained he nitrogen cycle and all the requirements of the piranhas, so be went out and bought a 90 gallon, then came back a few weeks later and bought 6 piranhas. He still has them and comes in every week for feeders and the like. I have a lady who has a betta, and she performs tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) every day. Sure, people are frustrating, but they're not evil and when they realize that keeping a goldfish in a bowl is cruel, they set up a real tank or pond. 9 times out of 10 the right info creates regular customers who end up spending far more than they would have on a goldfish and bowl, and remain happy with their fish. So you can do things right while working at a pet store. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlmaddy
I work at a pet store, and I explain probably three times an hour that goldfish can't be kept in bowls. But it does it's job, because people that really want a fish in a bowl wind up with Bettas, and those that really want other fish buy a tank, filter and heater. I have yet to turn away a customer by giving them proper information. A guy really wanted piranhas, so I explained he nitrogen cycle and all the requirements of the piranhas, so be went out and bought a 90 gallon, then came back a few weeks later and bought 6 piranhas. He still has them and comes in every week for feeders and the like. I have a lady who has a betta, and she performs tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) every day. Sure, people are frustrating, but they're not evil and when they realize that keeping a goldfish in a bowl is cruel, they set up a real tank or pond. 9 times out of 10 the right info creates regular customers who end up spending far more than they would have on a goldfish and bowl, and remain happy with their fish. So you can do things right while working at a pet store. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Way to go!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlmaddy View Post
Thank you for doing what you do!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, thanks horsegirlmaddy. I appreciate good service and thoughtful advice in any field, all too uncommon these days!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

*bow* haha I try. Obviously I don't know everything, but I do my very best to know what I'm doing, and share that knowledge with my coworkers and customers. As frustrating as it can be its also rewarding when customers are turned into fish lovers

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com